Chefood PID controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wseroyer

Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
I found this Chinese PID on Amazon i'm wondering if anyone has used it before, and what there thought on it are, I thinking about getting it.
chefood.jpg

No but looking at the reviews are you sure you want to waste the $ ? I don't have a need for a different unit as my PB works well. If I did it would be from a know seller with great reviews.

Reactions: Smkryng and TNJAKE
Just from my experience, if you want a pid controller go with a Savannah Stoker. It turned my PB Austin Xl into a totally different cooker. Worth every penny and there are plenty of people that can help trouble shoot and also Facebook support groups. Not sure which pellet grill you have but rec tec has a pid controller that also is great and works on pit boss grills

I took the risk and bought the controller for my old traeger BBQ: 075. So far it's really good holds the temp with in 2 degrees +/-, smoke is consistent thin and blue. I can't seem to figure out of to make the wifi feature work. I don't have any meat probes to test with it and it didn't come with any probes. The internal temperature probe that it came with it for the controller had too short of wires for me to be able to use in my traeger, so I just used the traeger probe from my old controller and it works fine. I'm sure the probe that it came with will work with newer traegers without the fake barrel smoker hopper like mine has. What I don't like about it is, it doesn't have a smoke setting like most controllers have, and I had to Dremel the hole bigger to make it fit in my smoker which was a real pain in the ass. I'm doing 3 racks of St Louis cut ribs for my first cook they've been on for 2 hours so far I'm using lumberjack hickory blend pellets and the smoke has been pretty good and consistent. I am using a smoke tube to assist, but most of the smoke seems to be coming from the traeger itself. I'll let you know how they turn out if I don't get to drunk and forget to take pictures, my 4 best friends are coming over for the first party at me and my girlfriend's new house, I'm sure we're going to get rowdy.

20200815_115946.jpg

20200815_115956.jpg

20200815_115704.jpg

Reactions: Just4SmokinGrillin
I took the risk and bought the controller for my old traeger BBQ: 075. So far it's really good holds the temp with in 2 degrees +/-, smoke is consistent thin and blue. I can't seem to figure out of to make the wifi feature work. I don't have any meat probes to test with it and it didn't come with any probes. The internal temperature probe that it came with it for the controller had too short of wires for me to be able to use in my traeger, so I just used the traeger probe from my old controller and it works fine. I'm sure the probe that it came with will work with newer traegers without the fake barrel smoker hopper like mine has. What I don't like about it is, it doesn't have a smoke setting like most controllers have, and I had to Dremel the hole bigger to make it fit in my smoker which was a real pain in the ass. I'm doing 3 racks of St Louis cut ribs for my first cook they've been on for 2 hours so far I'm using lumberjack hickory blend pellets and the smoke has been pretty good and consistent. I am using a smoke tube to assist, but most of the smoke seems to be coming from the traeger itself. I'll let you know how they turn out if I don't get to drunk and forget to take pictures, my 4 best friends are coming over for the first party at me and my girlfriend's new house, I'm sure we're going to get rowdy.

View attachment 458694

View attachment 458696

View attachment 458697
Any update on your experience with this controller?

Worse POS I ever purchased for a pellet grill. No support and NO ONE knows who manufactures it.
Have on setting in my garage,, wonder if I can use for a fishing sinker,, Lol ,, all it's good for!

I got one a while back when other controller died. Wifi would work for a while to monitor the temperatures but if you try to change anything it would lock up the controller and you would get a cold smoker - but it would continue to report the last temperature in the app.

Thinking about tearing it apart at it appears to have an ESP microcontroller and Hacking in to the display and relays and building my own. I just need to get another controller so I can keep cooking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky