Cheese Attempt ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I'm not much of a cheese maker, but I am pretty good at eating it
drool.gif

The Costco in our area is where I get all my cheeses, including the horseradish which is made by Yancey's Fancy which they call "New York's artisan cheddar cheese.  My wife came home with a bunch of wedges of Gouda and horseradish cheese yesterday - will smoke it next weekend.
I'm in.... Wait I was already here.

I'll be there....LOL

Ah you made the learning curve. Not much on many cheese flavors  other then to say the sharper the better for me and add the horseradish. Looks great thought foam.

About time you joined the cheese fraternity!

Points.

Disco
Thank you Disco.

Well next year maybe some cold weather. Heck we never got a frost this year. I always liked smoked cheese but not as much as those who sold it...... LOL. 

Ah you made the learning curve. Not much on many cheese flavors  other then to say the sharper the better for me and add the horseradish. Looks great thought foam.
Thank you....  That horse radish idea deffinately deserves further investigation. If I can't make it, I'll have to buy it. Its sounds too good!

I just tasted another piece, (a block LOL). Its getting much better at nearly two months old. It was a piece of the extra sharp.

If I hadn't lost control of the heat, even for a short time and lost the oils I can see how this would be exceptional. Its just sooo dry, there is no creamery smoothness here at all.

I just tasted another piece, (a block LOL). Its getting much better at nearly two months old. It was a piece of the extra sharp.

If I hadn't lost control of the heat, even for a short time and lost the oils I can see how this would be exceptional. Its just sooo dry, there is no creamery smoothness here at all.
All is not lost! If it seems too dry for crackers and cheese, it can still be grated. Nothing like grated smoked cheese on a salad or a loaded baked potato....

Looks good Foamheart ! ... I am pretty new to the cheese smoking too.  I tried smoking some cheese , its right at a month old now... After reading this post I have a question for the pros now.....  I seen it mentioned to leave it overnight after smoking before vac sealing.... I didn't do this, does it make a big difference?  And does everybody store it only in the fridge or do you freeze it some point?

Thanks,

Mark

I can't really help with the first question, its above my ability rating. I do allow overnight or up to a week in the reefer with bacon before closing it up. I call it a smoothing process. Some foods cured, and nuts, and jerky, and now cheese seem to taste like an ashtray when fist comming off the smoker. If I allow some smoothing time before the final processing. Makes 'em even taste good...LOL

My understanding about freezing is, untill frozen the cheese continues its grow or age and develop flavor. When frozen this ability is placed in suspended anination . Its why my cheeses are in the reefer vice the freezer. BUT with this round of cheese I doubt it will matter too much. Next years attempt will be better.

Looks good Foamheart ! ... I am pretty new to the cheese smoking too.  I tried smoking some cheese , its right at a month old now... After reading this post I have a question for the pros now.....  I seen it mentioned to leave it overnight after smoking before vac sealing.... I didn't do this, does it make a big difference?  And does everybody store it only in the fridge or do you freeze it some point?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark, please review the following, it will answer your questions and help you produce a fine product.

Mr T's "Smoked Cheese From Go To Show" w/ Q- View

In short though, you are fine with your cheese, no harm done.  Do not freeze.

T

Thanks Mr T.... Doing some reading on the posts which has ballooned into reading several of your posts!  Very informative and has my wheels turning!

Mark

Thanks Mr T.... Doing some reading on the posts which has ballooned into reading several of your posts!  Very informative and has my wheels turning!

Mark
Great, you will discover that cold smoking is a true art form in itself. By reading the material provided you will soon be able to separate the wheat from the chaff and provide yourself with a great end product along with fully understanding how it was achieved.

T

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky