Cheese Attempt ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great job foam... listen to MrT. He's the cheese smoking god...
points.gif

Snow? Haven't seen any here in upstate NY...
head-wall.gif
Thank you, an I know Tom has it going on for an old mountain man.

Looks great Kevin, I am loving the cheese. I am doing a load now too.
Well thank you, I have had that stuff from the grocery store that says its smoked cheese. I am looking forward to it. My only problem is.......  I think this I made got a huge dose of smoke. Its a learning curve. And ain't it fun?

Last edited:

Well thank you, I have had that stuff from the grocery store that says its smoked cheese. I am looking forward to it. My only problem is.......  I think this I made got a huge dose of smoke. Its a learning curve. And ain't it fun?
That cheese will be fine... more than fine, it will be awesome! - Vacuum pak it with your new packer, put it in the fridge for a month and your gonna taste cheese so good you'll piss yourself... well maybe not quite that good, but amazingly delicious. Like Ambrosia <-- Check it out

Ambrosia = the rubbed and slowly rendered fat cap on a Boston butt at 24 hours of low and slow heat......

It makes me quiver just thinking of it, I'll be back got some in the reefer! RAAR!

Boy Kevin that cheese really has some nice color!

For your first time you really nailed it!

I usually just vac pack it after a night in the fridge.

3 to 4 weeks & it mellows out.

I have some cheese that's over a year old & the longer it ages the better it gets.

Points to you for your first time success!

Al

You just made me check my cheese fridge, Foam. I only have one chunk of cheddar in there! OMG!
Looks like I'm making tracks to GFS asap. Running out of cheese smoking weather....

Boy Kevin that cheese really has some nice color!

For your first time you really nailed it!

I usually just vac pack it after a night in the fridge.

3 to 4 weeks & it mellows out.

I have some cheese that's over a year old & the longer it ages the better it gets.

Points to you for your first time success!

Al
That's all due to all the helpful people and info you can glean around here. So much knowledge to assimulate. I envy those with cold weather, sometimes. We diffinately in July and August! <chuckles>

Kevin,

How long did you smoke the cheese?  I see you started at  (OMG!)  2 am, and ended at ?????    No matter how long, the pics look fantastic and as others have said, give the cheese a month plus before you start digging into it.   I'm still working on cheese I did last April.  Yum!

Kevin,

How long did you smoke the cheese?  I see you started at  (OMG!)  2 am, and ended at ?????    No matter how long, the pics look fantastic and as others have said, give the cheese a month plus before you start digging into it.   I'm still working on cheese I did last April.  Yum!
Thank ya sir. I put it on at 2 AM, the alarm went off at 5AM. I opened the door and cooled it all down. I figured maybe 2 hours left of pellets. I closed the door and went to bed, came back at noon. Sooooo.......it got 4 to 6 hours smoke. 

BUT I hate to keep harping on this, I don't get any kick-backs now nor do i work for or with Todd, but that new adjustable oval pellet ( AOPs), aux smoke generator from AMAZIN really chugs out the smoke. I am getting twice the smoke I git with the 5x8 tray. I am sure that makes a difference. Plus also note the colby on the end was almost at the point of melting. It was close, a lot of oils were extruded.

I loved it, it was new and I was learning, needless to say under less than good conditions. I know now I ned to get some bacon in there before I completely miss it this year.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with Tillamook cheese! Looks great. Apple and cherry are two of my favorite woods to use on cheese. Cob is nice too.

The biggest problem with smoked cheese is that you have to wait a month or more to enjoy it and once you open it .. It's gone. It's so dam good!! I made a cheese Omelette with the last of my Pepper Jack and Gouda
From Dec smoke .. The wife said best she has ever had!!!
Side note: qmatz and tube are amazing !!!

I am going to have to do some more research. To me it seems like it would add the possibility of failure to do too many multi-density cheeses at one time. Maybe it just scares me because of the lack of cold temps where I live. Something like Mozzarella I could look at and it would melt, and not even use my blistering hard stare!

Nice job
icon14.gif

My favorites are Gouda and horseradish cheeses. I've kept them for more than a year vacuum packaged, and they only become better with time.

Can't go wrong with Tillamook cheese! Looks great. Apple and cherry are two of my favorite woods to use on cheese. Cob is nice too.
LOL..... I finally found some and at first thought of informing all the little ol'church ladies, if they intended to bring me cheese, "its the only kind my Mommie lets me chew".....LOL

Then I decided to accept their cheeses, smoke the Tillamook and give it to them like it their cheese only smoked....Its going to be fun.
The biggest problem with smoked cheese is that you have to wait a month or more to enjoy it and once you open it .. It's gone. It's so dam good!! I made a cheese Omelette with the last of my Pepper Jack and Gouda
From Dec smoke .. The wife said best she has ever had!!!
Side note: qmatz and tube are amazing !!!
Yes sir, that Todd is a pretty smart product manager. Ain't no flies on him.

Nice job
icon14.gif

My favorites are Gouda and horseradish cheeses. I've kept them for more than a year vacuum packaged, and they only become better with time.
Wow now I do like horseradish, you grow your own? fresh?

I never heard of horseradish cheese. Thats something I must look into! Instead of blue cheese crunbs on a salad or a steak, horse radish crumbs...... now thats something I want to try out. Does Tillamook make it? If not who? Pretty please, I love the idea.

Oh yeah, thanks you... sorry got all excited about horseradish cheese!

Horseradish cheese would be great smoked thanks for the idea
I am thinking you'd have to get that flavor in around the curds and whey time. I can't imagine horseradish being absorbed into a cheddar or a mozzerella after its been molded and released. Thats just my guess though having yet to make cheese. I have all the needed things plus the cheese making book, but its just one of those things I have not gotten to yet.

Just think about a horseradish cheddar, cheese steak.... or a french dip with horseradish mozzerella and peppers.... RAAR!

Wow now I do like horseradish, you grow your own? fresh?

I never heard of horseradish cheese. Thats something I must look into! Instead of blue cheese crunbs on a salad or a steak, horse radish crumbs...... now thats something I want to try out. Does Tillamook make it? If not who? Pretty please, I love the idea.

Oh yeah, thanks you... sorry got all excited about horseradish cheese!
I'm not much of a cheese maker, but I am pretty good at eating it
drool.gif

The Costco in our area is where I get all my cheeses, including the horseradish which is made by Yancey's Fancy which they call "New York's artisan cheddar cheese.  My wife came home with a bunch of wedges of Gouda and horseradish cheese yesterday - will smoke it next weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky