Checking In From South East Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

detroitdad

Original poster
Hey everyone,

I'm obviously new to the forum. I'm looking forward to reading through the threads, seeing what equipment, cooking techniques, ect....that everyone is using.

I'm from Ypsilanti, MI. 10 miles east of Ann Arbor, about 30 miles west of Detroit. 47 ish, several adult kids and a grandson. Married to my wife for 27 years and still going strong :)

My primary hobby is playing poker and collecting poker chips and poker chip sets. I have a custom clay set and several high end sets that I've acquired over the years. The only other forum outside of this one that I'm a member of is a poker chip forum.

For about 10 years I talked about getting a charcoal grill and moving away from propane. I missed the flavor that cooking with wood or charcoal brought to the food. Three years ago my kids got me a small charcoal grill for Fathers Day. After cooking on it once I never looked back. Three years later the Propane grill was just collecting dust. I gave it to my daughter.

The next year my wife upgraded my charcoal grill (sure its nothing like what is on display here, but for now it works). She even had assembled it for me while I was at work and picked up some steaks for me to break it in :)

This previous summer I started experimenting with different cooking techniques. I ended up grilling 3-5 times a week. I was grilling anything and everything that I could get my hands on. I was mostly leaning by trial and error. Screwed up a few things, but boy once I figured it out, wow................I don't have a smoker yet (hope that doesn't get me band from the site). I do a lot of my cooking via indirect heat and I do my best to infuse some smoke into the foods.

I make my a couple of my own BBQ sauces. I can't claim credit for "creating" them. I pulled them from online and tweaked them until I was happy with them. The two main ones that I make are a Spicy Bourbon BBQ sauce and a Jalapeno Blue Berry BBQ sauce.

I recently cooked a Turkey breast on the grill and it was one of the best pieces of meat I have eaten in a long time. The wife made a brine for it. I slow cooked it on the indirect side of the grill for a few hours. Easy peasy!!!

Nothing like BBQ Chicken and grilled Romaine :)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to improving my grilling skills via this community.

Bill

Welcome Bill. I am also an East Sider from Michigan. up in the Macomb Area 30-40 Min North of Detroit.

Welcome Michigan folks! What you need to know is the 4th annual Fowlerville Fattie contest is july 22nd. Your welcome to attend, and enter if you'd like. We had 20 entries last July.

Howdy from a gal that grew up on the East Side of the D and used to hang out in Ypsi! Fun Times!
welcome1.gif

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cloudy and windy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of          great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky