Catered My Own Wedding, 150 Guests

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fried gizzards

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Kelso, Washington
So boys, it finally happened... I'm a married man. We said 'I Do' this last Sunday. It was the single most Happy/Stressful day of my life. A lot of that stress came from the fact that I had made all the food and this was my first time cooking for more than 20-30 people.

The Thursday before the wedding my father, father-in-law, and myself trimmed, slathered in mustard, and rubbed 130 lbs of Pork Butt.

The rub was my own creation. It consisted of=
3 cups of Paprika
3 cups of Pappys Seasoning Salt
3 cups of Brown Sugar
3 cups of White Sugar
3 cups of Garlic
2.75 cups of Onion Powder
1.5 cups of Chili Powder
.75 cups of Black Pepper
.75 cups of Cumin
2 Tbsp Red Pepper Flake
2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp White Pepper
2 Tbsp Chipotle Pepper

The setup we used was a combination of my Lil Tex Traeger, one of my groomsmen's Camp Chef, as well as a Traeger Trailer I rented from a local establishment.

And we all know the chef is only as good as his help, and as long as there's cold beer Winston here cannot be beat.

The next morning we had the pork on at 4:30 AM. We had a party in the backyard and invited people to come help with the cook. Many of my friends appreciate good BBQ but have never done it, so they came expecting to work hard. Little did they know we had done all the hard work the day before so it became a game of 'hurry up and wait' while enjoying a few refreshments around the smokers.

As individual butts got to an IT of 205 we would pull them from the smokers, shreds them (they fell apart like butter), stuffed them in gallon sized zip locks, and got them into ice water to lower the temp ASAP. This was way too much pork to let cool in the fridge and I wanted to get it out of the unsafe range of temps quickly.

I saved the foil drippings and mixed it 50/50 with Chef JJ's finishing sauce to rehydrate the pork the day of the wedding.

I wish I had some QView of the finished product but I was busy getting dressed and ready for the big day. I have to say that this experience has opened my eyes to my desire to cater. I had a blast but even more than that I truly enjoyed watching people appreciate my BBQ.

Hope you guys enjoyed!

Congrats on getting married, I did it 28 years ago. That's a lot of work to pull together with all going on. Great job...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky