Cart Modification for MES. Nice!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
looks good, very handy
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

PiginIt, you are an evil genius. I just brought home my brand new MES from Sam's, and now I have to go back and spend another $60 for the cart. I wish I had got it done while the little lady was in spending mode, but she loves the smoked food that it shouldn't be too much of a hard sell.

This is my first electric smoker in over twenty years. It's going to be a fun ride. I'm looking forward to y'alls help and mod info.

Welcome to the world of MES. I love mine and smoke on it two or three times a week. If I'm not smokin something up for the freezer I'm smokin somethin up for somebody else. I love this new MES and I haven't made any mods to it. Haven't felt the need. I'm going to hook up the smoke daddy with the chip tray.... that's all I have planned. It works so much better than the first one I had that I really think I must have gotten a lemon. The upgrades have really improved the little unit and I don't think you can find better bang for the buck. I love my cart too.

Update: I bought the 40" MES with window from Sam's a week ago. Between weather and obligations I have only had time to season it to this point. First smoke is tomorrow with a huge butt (I do like the big butts), a couple of fattys for my son and his friends, some boudin, ABT's , and a sausage to be named later. But I digress.

My patio and deck are not covered, and I don't have a garage (carport). My outbuilding is stuffed with tillers, mowers, tools, and the like. It was getting really tiresome bear-hugging the MES all over trying to find its "spot".

Today we were at Lowe's shopping for a coat rack for the entry way to the house. We found what we wanted and then just cruised down the aisle browsing, and then a light from the heavens shown down upon a package that solved my problems. A package of four swivel casters, two with locking wheels. The stem diameter and threads seemed to be right, and you can always bring them back, so I took the plunge. We ran home and took off the stock feet and low and behold, the casters fit perfectly! They are 4" diameter, steel stem, and a 500# rating. I couldn't be happier. Best of all, the price is $19.97. I highly recommend this mod to any new MES owner. The carts are great, but for we, the economically challenged, this is the bomb. Here is the link:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_1513-80752-LO+552_0_?productId=3101539&Ntt=real organized &Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=15$No=60$Ntt=real%20or ganized

Good luck!

Reactions: belaire
I have several of these carts that I got from Sam's, and I bought them especially for my smokers. I found out the hard way, they will rust, even with wax applyed. There is no way I know to protect them from rusting.

I bought the same Smoker and the same cart from Sam's.  The only differences are I used the 1st rack to hold all my wood chips, and the 2nd rack to hold the smoker racks, and the 3rd rack holds the smoker.

Works great!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah,  I have a BMW and a Kawasaki in the garage instead of a Harley)))

JD

Great post just got home and put mine togather and it fits like it was made for the MES40. This is one sweet cart.
bravo.png

This looks awesome and plan on picking one up today when I go to Sam's.  It's been three years now, any further modifications, or new ideas?

Great idea.  Even though my MES 40 has wheels, I like that this cart raises the whole unit up, so less bending down.  The side shelves are great too.  I got mine at Sam's too so I'll check there for that cart.  Thanks.

Unfortunately, I did the same thing...or so I thought...bought the MES 40 at Sams and thought the cart was the same from 09 from this post.  The cart measured wide enough and was $59 with a 500lb weight limit.  The cart does NOT fit the MES 40.  It is too large to fit in-between the posts and is much smaller than the one originally in this post.  I can't even cut the posts down to make is usable, just wasted $59.  This is totally on me, should have been able to figure it was not going to fit.  

Okay, please disregard my previous post.  The error was completely mine and I ordered the wrong one!  There are more than one cart available at $59 with a 500lb limit.  The one you want is the same number listed.  Sorry I screwed this up.  Of course I have to take mine back and try to get the right one!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky