Canadian Bacon for Easter Brunch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
First time. Pops brine 3/4C strength for 10 days. Centers injected. Lucked out, it didn't get ropy or slimy. 30m rest in water and then dabbed dry.
20180329_175949.jpg

Last edited:
Overnight in fridge and 1 hour under fan pellicle. Totally dry to the touch. Thought color would darken but it didn't.
20180330_171822.jpg

150F for 3 hours (100F IT) and 200F until 150F. Total was near 8 hours. Apple pellets in the AMNPS. Pic was taken at 3 hours when I bumped temp. The smoke was distinctly apple and was the most prominent in all my years of smoking.
20180330_181159.jpg

I've read that CB can be eaten right away but I took a sample right away and thought it was kinda blah.
20180401_103927.jpg

No slicer... Flavor definitely improved overnight. Only sliced half of it. Plan to test other half in a few days. I might rest more a day next time.
20180401_103959.jpg

Now the trifecta is complete. Eggs benedict, asparagus, crepes. The crepe is actually my uncles creation. Actually the whole menu is... Crepe is cold, filled with a vanilla instant pudding with sour cream added. All made night before. Sauce is warm though. CB was outstanding. Perfect salt. Perfect salt to sweet ratio. It is very "pure" tasting. You can definitely tell its apple wood smoked. The smoke flavor kinda dissipates fast but I am being very picky. I am think maybe adding cold smoke on next one for a little more depth of flavor.

Happy Easter SMF!
20180401_103846.jpg

Damn that looked good. Making me hungry here. Awesome looking brunch you had. Points for a terrific looking meal you surly did do.

Reactions: zwiller
WOW. Thanks for all the likes, comments and ride on the carousel!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky