Canadian Bacon Dry Cured (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

And this morning before church, the piece de resistance:

I have a really good recipe for Eggs Benedict if anyone is interested I will post it.
That Looks Great !!
drool.gif

You should start a New Thread, and post pics with a Step by Step on your  "Eggs Benedict".

That would be Real Nice!
icon14.gif

Bear

After such a good experience with Bear's Extra Smoky Bacon, thought I would try the Canadian Bacon. My wife already reminding me I need to make more bacon.

I bought two 3 lb pork loins at my local HEB. I can do a lot better on price at Costco, but just not convenient today.

I measured out 3 TBS of TQ and 2 TBS of brown sugar for each loin. Rubbed on the TQ followed by the brown sugar. Each piece was 2 1/2" thick, so 5+2+3=10 days in the frig rotated daily.

Into the MES 30 on March 9.

Last edited:
After such a good experience with Bear's Extra Smoky Bacon, thought I would try the Canadian Bacon. My wife already reminding me I need to make more bacon.

I bought two 3 lb pork loins at my local HEB. I can do a lot better on price at Costco, but just not convenient today.

I measured out 3 TBS of TQ and 2 TBS of brown sugar for each loin. Rubbed on the TQ followed by the brown sugar. Each piece was 2 1/2" thick, so 5+2+3=10 days in the frig rotated daily.

Into the MES 30 on March 9.
Sounds Great, Milkman!!
icon14.gif

You're in for a Treat !!
drool.gif

Bear

OK, after 10 days of curing, 7 hrs in the MES30 with hickory and two days equalizing in the frig, we have the finished Canadian Bacon. All sliced up with my new Chef Choice 609. Don't know how to do it without a slicer anymore, made quick work of the bacon. Next up is 6 slices each in my 7" vac sealer bags and into the freezer.

BTW, the flavor is amazing, especially the ends. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Last edited:
OK, after 10 days of curing, 7 hrs in the MES30 with hickory and two days equalizing in the frig, we have the finished Canadian Bacon. All sliced up with my new Chef Choice 609. Don't know how to do it without a slicer anymore, made quick work of the bacon. Next up is 6 slices each in my 7" vac sealer bags and into the freezer.

BTW, the flavor is amazing, especially the ends. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Looks Great, Milkman!!
drool.gif

Glad you like it !!
icon14.gif

My Son steals the ends----The Bacon Ends are even better.
drool.gif

Bear

I have a 2 pound loin curing in the fridge now. I rubbed with TQ and raw sugar that I saw in another thread. Mine is 2" thick so I am curing for 6 days. I will do the salt test Friday night and let the pellicle form in the fridge until Saturday morning and smoke Saturday. After the smoke what is the purpose of 44 hours in the fridge? Also, I don't have a slicer, so I'm hoping that I can slice by hand with a good sharp knife after 4 hours in the freezer. My plan is to smoke until fully cooked so we can just grab a couple of slices out of the fridge each morning and slap it onto an egg sandwich before work. How long will it keep in the fridge? Any other advice you can think of? Thanks in advance!

I have a 2 pound loin curing in the fridge now. I rubbed with TQ and raw sugar that I saw in another thread. Mine is 2" thick so I am curing for 6 days. I will do the salt test Friday night and let the pellicle form in the fridge until Saturday morning and smoke Saturday. After the smoke what is the purpose of 44 hours in the fridge? Also, I don't have a slicer, so I'm hoping that I can slice by hand with a good sharp knife after 4 hours in the freezer. My plan is to smoke until fully cooked so we can just grab a couple of slices out of the fridge each morning and slap it onto an egg sandwich before work. How long will it keep in the fridge? Any other advice you can think of? Thanks in advance!
Most tips are in my first post on this thread;

However as for the number of days, I would sooner see you cure for about 9 days, so make sure you cut the thickest piece in half & check to be sure the cure got to the center---The pink should go all the way to the center, without any Gray/brown in the center.

Years ago I sliced my Cured & Smoked meats sooner, but I got delayed one time, and found that 38 to 48 hours in the fridge lets the flavor spread & get mellow.

I tried another day, and found Zero difference, so I like 38 to 48 hours after smoking, for slicing.

If you're going to slice by hand, I would try it after 2 to 3 hours in the freezer, instead of 4 hours.

Try to take the IT to at least 145° for safety, but try not to go much over 150°. We used to go to 160° in the old days, and that was too Dry.

It keeps in the fridge about as long as processed Lunchmeat---About 5 days or so. Any longer Freeze it. That's one of the reasons I do them in small packs.

Bear

Last edited:
Most tips are in my first post on this thread;

However as for the number of days, I would sooner see you cure for about 9 days, so make sure you cut the thickest piece in half & check to be sure the cure got to the center---The pink should go all the way to the center, without any Gray/brown in the center.

Years ago I sliced my Cured & Smoked meats sooner, but I got delayed one time, and found that 38 to 48 hours in the fridge lets the flavor spread & get mellow.
I tried another day, and found Zero difference, so I like 38 to 48 hours after smoking, for slicing.

If you're going to slice by hand, I would try it after 2 to 3 hours in the freezer, instead of 4 hours.

Try to take the IT to at least 145° for safety, but try not to go much over 150°. We used to go to 160° in the old days, and that was too Dry.

It keeps in the fridge about as long as processed Lunchmeat---About 5 days or so. Any longer Freeze it. That's one of the reasons I do them in small packs.

Bear

Thanks Bear. I will let it cure a couple of extra days for safety. I didn't think about letting the smoke flavor mellow. I learned that with the first batch of cheese I did. The second batch I left in the fridge for a few days and it was a much more mild smoke flavor.

This is after 10 days of curing, looks gray to me. What are your thoughts? If it is under cured it is garbage right?
It looks fine-----The interior is Pink, showing it's cured. If it wasn't cured to center there would be a Gray/brown area in the center.

That non-Pink you see is the outside---It gets that way after curing from Air or whatever, but if the center is cured, the outside would also have to be, because the cure went through there to get to the center.

Looks like you're good to go !!

Bear

Bear - Just wanted to stop in and say I've made your belly bacon (Extra smokey step by step) and the CB in this one with great success. Rave reviews from everyone I share my bacon and CB with. I even received the Wife stamp of pre-approval to make anything you come up with because we know it will be good. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make the tutorials for newbies like me.

Here are the long awaited pictures from my first CB! The wife loved the flavor, so this will be a regular thing! Due to electrical problems with my MES I had to smoke on my little portable charcoal grill which did surprisingly well! You will see my set up in the pictures

Fry test! Wanted to fry it all instead of waiting to smoke!

Smoke set up, charcoal in the back with a tray of cherry wood chips. In the tube I had hickory pellets from Amazen. Pulled the bacon off between 145 & 150 IT after about 3 hours.

All packed up with some left out for dinner last night and breakfast this morning!

Thanks again for your help Bear! We enjoy your tutorials!

Bear - Just wanted to stop in and say I've made your belly bacon (Extra smokey step by step) and the CB in this one with great success. Rave reviews from everyone I share my bacon and CB with. I even received the Wife stamp of pre-approval to make anything you come up with because we know it will be good. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make the tutorials for newbies like me.
That's Great !!  Thank You Jeff !

I Appreciate you stopping by to let me know. Things like this make my Day.

Bear
Here are the long awaited pictures from my first CB! The wife loved the flavor, so this will be a regular thing! Due to electrical problems with my MES I had to smoke on my little portable charcoal grill which did surprisingly well! You will see my set up in the pictures
Fry test! Wanted to fry it all instead of waiting to smoke!
Smoke set up, charcoal in the back with a tray of cherry wood chips. In the tube I had hickory pellets from Amazen. Pulled the bacon off between 145 & 150 IT after about 3 hours.
Nice Job, Bus!!
icon14.gif

You did Great !
icon14.gif

Hope you get your MES fixed soon---If you liked 3 hours of smoke from a Grill, you'll go nuts over a longer smoke from your MES & an AMNPS.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky