Canadian Bacon Bear's Step by Step

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Maryland Eastern Shore
Thought it was time to make some more Canadian Bacon had used Bears Step by Step before and liked it so I used it again for some fine bacon.

Rubbed down with the Tender Quick

Brown Sugar added

Bagged and ready for refrigerator

After 12 days in frig cut in half  for cure check cure all the way through

Fry test not to salty it was great

Should have cooked a couple eggs to go with it

In the smoker   I bought a Thermo Smoke and love it

Out of the smoker at 147 IT great color

Wrapped and back in frig for a couple days

Slicing looks good

All sliced and ready to bag

Ready for freezer  One bag end pieces to flavor beans

Camping this weekend definitely some bacon and eggs

Bear thanks for the easy to follow step by step and thanks to all for looking.

Warren

Last edited:
Your Canadian bacon looks to take on so much more color than mine... I'm not too far off from your recipe... u wonder if I need more or darker brown sugar to get that color.

Looks great!

Last edited:
Thats some beautiful CB.  I make 5-6 loins this way every year.

POINTS for this.    

Well done.

Your Canadian bacon looks to take on so much more color than mine... I'm not too far off from your recipe... u wonder if I need more or darker brown sugar to get that color.

Looks great!
How much brown sugar you use?

I use about a 1/2 cup to a whole ~15 pd loin... equal salt and brown sugar which I'm not super strict about amounts... but cure #1 I weigh out

I use about a 1/2 cup to a whole ~15 pd loin... equal salt and brown sugar which I'm not super strict about amounts... but cure #1 I weigh out
He used Tender Quick but the brown sugar you use should be plenty.

How much did you use Warren?

Yeah I saw that but quick tender is just salt, sugar, cure #1, and cure #2... the only thing I could see making it darker out of those is additional sugar?

I used 2 tbs per lb. Just looked back at Bear's recipe and it called for 2 tsp per lb but I like my mistake.

Warren

Last edited:

Yeah I saw that but quick tender is just salt, sugar, cure #1, and cure #2... the only thing I could see making it darker out of those is additional sugar?
There is no sugar in Tender Quick. Morton's Ham cure has sugar in it is that what you are referring to?

Warren

There is no sugar in Tender Quick. Morton's Ham cure has sugar in it is that what you are referring to?

Warren
yes there is... here's the ingrediant list from their website:

"Morton Tender Quick mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform."

http://www.mortonsalt.com/home-product/morton-tender-quick/

Wow!!

How did this Thread avoid the Bear for so long?!?!
eek.gif

It looks Perfect !!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

Beautiful Color Too---Gotta be Mighty Tasty!!!
drool.gif

Sorry I'm late, but better late than never!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Wow!!

How did this Thread avoid the Bear for so long?!?!
eek.gif

It looks Perfect !!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

Beautiful Color Too---Gotta be Mighty Tasty!!!
drool.gif

Sorry I'm late, but better late than never!!
icon14.gif

Bear
Hey Bear thanks for the points and the step by step to do this. I did make a mistake in the brown sugar but liked the mistake and will most likely do it that way again.

Warren

Hey Bear thanks for the points and the step by step to do this. I did make a mistake in the brown sugar but liked the mistake and will most likely do it that way again.

Warren
That won't hurt a thing---I like some Pork a little sweet, just NO SUGAR on my Beef !!

Bear

What is the purpose of wrapping it in plastic and letting it sit in the fridge for 2 days?

Sitting it in the Fridge a couple days before slicing helps the flavors to Meld in a bit more.

Wrapping it in plastic wrap Keeps the Smokey Smell to a Minimum in "Mom's" Fridge. I like to think it holds the flavor in too.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky