Can you make a decent Brisket in an electric smoker?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by baker2828, May 31, 2008.

1. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

Well,
    I am not sure, but I am going to give it my best effort to determine if I can. I know some others have had some success from the excellent q-views. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Here it was after sitting in the fridge over night rightbefore I put it on the smoker. How do I make my pics smaller? (note this is a 7lb flat not a whole brisket)

2. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Pics are perfect!!
    Heck ya you can do a brisket on an electric smoker!
    What kind do you have?

3. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hmm I LIKE that pict size, myself...
    And MANY here make great brisket in an electric. Maybe want to add a couple chunks of lump charcoal along the way..increases NO2 production, giving a better smoke ring...if ya care. And use a waterpan...or keep it well moistened. That will help also!

4. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

Ok, I wasn't sure if people preferred the thumbnails that you can enlarge or the size I was using. 2 hours into the smoke my electric Brinkman is doing well I have it on my covered portch and chairs blocking what little wind can get in. I will keep updating through the day, last brisket I did didn't turn out to well, I am hoping with some help I can get this one to be a dandy. I am taking it to a softball game tonight and I want the boys to understand why I am so crazy about smoking.

5. bbq bubba

Smoke looks good!
    Smoke till 160ish and wrap in foil, continue until 195 ish and start testing with a probe, when the probe slides in like butter, your done!!

6. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

I was planning on tenting at 170 and cooking until 200 just to be safe. Do you think thats to much?

7. richtee

Safe? It's ready at 135°...for real rare... 200° is for pulling. Wanna slice it? 160-180 depending on the "pink scale".

8. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

Yeh, I should clarify there....by safe I meant I don't want to fire up the Stihl chainsaw to cut it. I don't want to pull it like pork but I want thick 1/4-1/2" slices that melt in your mouth. I have actually had beef tenerloin raw before (beef sashimi) not bad....

9. richtee

160 will be good for a bit of pink... tenderer... do the 175-180.

10. bbq bubba

You want melt in your mouth tender, follow the probe advice....

11. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

Great stuff guys I really appreciate your help and I will share q-views of the final product, I want melt in your mouth I will try the probe test. I will keep updates getting ready to get my first temp after about 4 hours. We will see how it goes and how much longer I have.

12. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

Sorry I just now saw this question, but my guess is you figured it out when I showed the second pic as you own one yourself.

13. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

Well,
    I am 4 hours into the smoke and as you can see by the pick the flat is 145 and the smoker temp is a steady 225. I am getting close to having to add some more beer, apple juice or water what ever I decide, but I think it looks pretty darn good. About 5 more hours and the grubbing will be on.

14. bbq bubba

Looks good, but if your lookin, you ain't cookin!

15. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

I know......but my digi went on the fritz and I only have the probe to tell the temp on the brisket. I only have looked once in 4 hours and don't plan on looking again for a couple of hours. I have two probe thermo's but both of them are on their way out. Sooooo, sadly I will have to look periodically.

16. My electric pumps out great brisket. I fill'er up as much as I can so I have leftovers for brisket smokehouse chili... then again that season has left us.

17. bbq bubba

Well.............

18. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

19. baker2828

baker2828 Smoke Blower

In case you all were interested how it turned out I sliced it at 8:30 for my softball buddies and it lasted 15 minutes tender as all get out. I used the probe technique as suggested and it worked perfectly. Below are a few picks. This was sliced on the back of a pick up truck can't beat it.

Thank you guys for your assitance, this was a huge hit and has started a weekly tradition now where each week someone is going to bring food, I voluntered for next week ribs on the menu, I will post those as well.

20. erain

erain Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

i think that brisket looks pretty darn good. looks like the electrics can indeed do a brisket. great job and great qview!!!