Can you make a cure/brine a day before?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin_sparrows_bbq

Original poster
Feb 19, 2024
Can you make cures/brines in advance? Im looking to make a cornedbeef from scratch. I want to make the cure the day before just so i can eliminate a step. I work alot and just want to help save time.

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't see a problem with it, hopefully others will agree. I'd keep it cold in fridge. I like the break my steps out too but cannot imagine needing to go that far. You're working too much bro!

How about say measure everything in a small bowl but do not add the water? Then add water/mix/add meat. What cure you using?

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't see a problem with it, hopefully others will agree. I'd keep it cold in fridge. I like the break my steps out too but cannot imagine needing to go that far. You're working too much bro!

How about say measure everything in a small bowl but do not add the water? Then add water/mix/add meat. What cure you using?
I was looking to get the boiling water out the way and just letting it cool over night. But i was going to use the recipe from this https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/homemade-corned-beef/#wprm-recipe-container-173900
But im going to add a few extras in there. Any one else have a good recipe for the cure?

I always do because I simmer the corning brine one day so all the aromatics release their flavor. Then chill it overnight, and add the Cure #1 to a cold brine the next day and mix well.

Looking at it another way, you will be using the brine for 10 to 14 days... making it one day ahead is no problem.
Thats exactly where my head is at. But you wouldnt throw the curing salt in there when everything is heating up?

Just was looking so i can simmer it, mix the stuff and let it cool in the fridge over night. That way when i can pick the meat up on my way home from work and essentially just drop it in
Add the cure after it's cooled. You don't want to heat it with the cure in there.

Personally I would make it, then add/dissolve the cure right before you put the meat in. The brine and aromatics will last almost indefinitely in the fridge. That way if life gets in the way, you have a buffer. If for some reason this has to sit on the back burner for 2-3 weeks you can still use it.

Cure 1 is extremely water soluble, even in cold water. Grab a whisk and it'll only add a couple minutes to your day before adding the meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokin_sparrows_bbq
Just was looking so i can simmer it, mix the stuff and let it cool in the fridge over night.
I didn't see that in the first post , so that makes sense . I don't simmer mine as a whole .
If I have spices that need to be dissolved , I use a quart of the liquid , steep the spice in the small amount of liquid . Cool with ice cubes and add it back to the whole .

I'm in the don't heat the cure camp . Some will say it's ok , I never do it . So if you're going to heat it , add the cure after it cools back down .

Reactions: dr k and mike243
Thats exactly where my head is at. But you wouldnt throw the curing salt in there when everything is heating up?
Nope.
e6LsfM1.jpg

Reactions: dr k and jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky