Can Someone Identify This Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
South Jersey
Someone is selling this smoker and it looks like a MES but has a Snap On plate on it. I trying to find out how old it is and what size it is. I'm hoping it is a 40" but the owner doesn't know. Also,
397189070_6737156506364722_4084243657063704753_n.jpg
maybe someone can tell me if this is a good unit. It's brand new and has never been used.

I trying to find out how old it is
Looks like a Snap on branded Gen 2 MES 40 . Exhaust vent on the upper left SIDEWALL . Not the top .
I believe there were air flow issues with that vent configuration . That's why they came out with the Gen 2.5 not soon after . If it is the Gen 2 that's the least desirable one to have .
My opinion , unless it's extremely cheap ( and a Gen 2 ) I would pass .
Looks nice though . Could do some mods . Again for the right price .

Have to say I've never used one . Just going by what Bear used to say .

Have to say I've never used one . Just going by what Bear used to say .
If I remember correctly Bear has a pretty good thread explaining the differences between the MES gens. It should be an easy search.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Snap-on sales reps do lots of gifts with purchase. ie spend $$$ get a free whatever. I work at a Ford Dealership (sales manager) I know one of techs got a rebranded gas grill a couple years ago.

Reactions: chopsaw
If I remember correctly Bear has a pretty good thread explaining the differences between the MES gens. It should be an easy search.

Chris
Yep, I found it, but I keep getting a server error when I try to post it. Not sure what's up with that. Maybe bmudd14474 bmudd14474 can help with that problem. Also, can't tag Bearcarver Bearcarver , either

Anyway, do a search for Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear’s Thoughts & Findings) by Bearcarver

No vent in top = Gen 2 . Shows pics of the different Gen's .

Last edited:
I did a search and found only reviews for the MES Gen 2. There was mention of the smoke vent being on the side but I couldn't find any info on a mod to help or correct that.

What would those be?
Make a 3" vent hole in the top . Block the one on the side , and change out the drip pan that goes side to side .
In that thread of bears there is a link to " thoughts and findings " Look at that also if you haven't .
If it was the right price and you have the room grab it .

Reactions: cruiser rod
I'll be nosey... what are they asking for price?

Ryan

Someone is selling this smoker and it looks like a MES but has a Snap On plate on it. I trying to find out how old it is and what size it is. I'm hoping it is a 40" but the owner doesn't know. Also, View attachment 680281maybe someone can tell me if this is a good unit. It's brand new and has never been used.
That is too funny I was just looking at that on marketplace before I read this post. $250...no I am not in the market for another smoker but it does look like a MES

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky