Can I split a pork butt in half and cut down on smoking time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Happy accident ... since the 7.75lb had a bone in it I couldn't cut it into two even halves. Started smoking around noon. Shooting for 203 on both but the smaller hit 160 right at dinner so we sliced some off and stuck the rest back in. Sweet

A different option than cutting in half - remove the money muscle, and cook that separate. It makes for a great presentation to slice these instead of pull (so don't cook them as long), and this will be the best part of your meal.It's not half the shoulder, but it's enough to reduce the cook time, and these will be done first, so if you want to start eating early, you can start with these.

Malcom over at KillerHogs has a tutorial on finding and trimming off the money muscle on his How To BBQ Right blog: http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=763

As a follow up. I have done this cut I half to faster strategy twice. Without the tin foil Texas crutch to get through the stall. . I love the extra bark but I swear it is tougher and dryer. I am thinking I might abandon this and go with a full pork butt but do the tinfoil thing to get through the stall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky