Can I freeze a salt/pepper rubbed brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

quinngarcia

Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
Had to cancel party but brisket was already prepped. Can I just freeze it until I'm ready? Should I just wash off the rub? Please help me, fellas. Thanks.

Had it been frozen before? If yes then I would say no, if not then go and freeze it. That is assuming it wasn't cooked.

Chris

QG, The U. S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) advises: Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods.

Reactions: chopsaw
The point I see here is that your rub could dry it out depending on how much salt is in the rub if it's not cooked. My $.02

Warren

The point I see here is that your rub could dry it out depending on how much salt is in the rub if it's not cooked. My $.02

Warren
That was my concern as well. I used a 50 50 salt pepper rub. I may just have to cook it tomorrow. I don't want to freeze it and thaw it to a lesser quality brisket.

I have frozen ribs that were rubbed for weeks & did not notice any problems, except the ribs really took on the flavor of the rub. I like the pork flavor so for me, I would rather rub them an hour or so before smoking them. But you may like the brisket after a long rest in the freezer with your rub on it. It may be your best brisket ever!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky