Cabela's has $4.95 flat rate shipping--Apple or Pecan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tender loins

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Just a heads up to save some bucks. Since most of us use wood or wood pellets or chunks, it may be a good time to stock up.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0058845

Also, in their Bargain Cave, they have 10 lb bags of wood chunks (mesquite, hickory or maple) for $6.88.

http://tinyurl.com/4af9sf

If you use chunks, and buy 2 10lb bags, that would be about $19 [delivered] for 20 pounds. That's cheaper than typical shipping on ebay or elsewhere for 20lbs!

I was thinking of their wood pellets. They have them in typical flavors (hickory, mesquite & alder) but also apple & pecan. I can't decide so somebody please twist my arm, apple or pecan. I think they may work great in a MES. Anybody else use the small pellets in electric smokers? They are $17.99 for a 20 lb bag.

Also, I bought my smoker there and got another $20 OFF by applying for their credit card & using it to buy it!

oh yeah, i throw wood on the weber. I start off with a pretty full charcoal base first and then add chunks through the secret trap door. I wonder what would happen though if i just used straight charcoal and no wood. I don't think it would be called smoking then. probably just cooking haha!

funny you should ask. I have done just wood while grilling, i have some alder logs i experiemented with. I find with the weber it blows out way to much smoke with all wood. I gotta get my regulation of the dampers down to a science. once i do i'll try the all wood approach. Do you have any experience with all wood in a bullet smoker? I'd like to know if it works.

Sorry, I'm still a newb at smoking with a real smoker, plus my only smoker is electric Masterbuilt.

I'm still looking for comments on apple vs pecan.

The instructions that came with the smoker listed neither for beef but both for pork, poultry & fish. They really only listed hickory & mesquite for beef. I think I'll mostly be smoking pork more than anything, then after pork it would be a tossup between chicken & beef.

I'd hate to buy a 20lb bag of a wood that is only good for 1 or 2 meats, but I already have chips of hickory & mesquite as well as Cameron's finer chips/shavings of hickory, oak, alder & cherry.

The Cameron's are tiny like rice, not much bigger than sawdust. The 20lb pellets are maybe 3/16" to 1/4" diameter. Maybe these smaller types smoke better in electric smokers?? I don't even know if chunks would fit the wood chute.

TL, i wouldn't fret too much over what type of wood to go with. Maybe try cooking the meat that's intended for those woods first and then see if you like it and then try another type of meat that may not be as reccomended for it. It's all up to personal preference. There's no danger in trying different meats with different woods. Its kinda like putting beer in your cereal. If your a frat boy its probably not so bad, maybe even pretty good. But if you want to use milk like everyone else that's fine too! Give both woods a try and then buy some different woods too. You can never have enough types of wood to try!

LOTR just cut the link and paste it in the message. Tender I use Pecan and Ive done fatties and beef and it tasted wonderful. I have also used mesquite. Both work fine. Smoking is an experiment. Just try it with pecan once, then apple, then mesquite, etc. and see what you prefer. Thanks for the heads up about cabellas

Is it something like a webpage on your computer or on the internet?

If on the internet somewhere, just post a link.

If it's a webpage on your computer somewhere, just open it and hold down the CTRL key and at the same time hit the "A" key, then the "C" key (while still holding the CTRL key down.) The CTRL + A will highlight ALL on the page, the CTRL + C will copy ALL that's highlighted.

Then come to the reply box here to post a message and click in the box so the cursor is blinking... then hold down the CTRL key and hit the "V" key to past it into the reply.

The CTRL + A will highlight ALL on the page,
the CTRL + C will copy ALL that's highlighted.
The CTRL + V will paste ALL that you copied.

You can also selectively use your mouse to highlight only what you want and then copy & paste.

Pecan usually isn't available up here, besides certain mail order places.

I have tried many different flavors of pellets from BBQr's Delight:

Hickory
Jack Daniels filter charcoal
Mesquite
Apple
Sugar Maple

and just recently some of the finer size Cameron's:

Oak
Hickory
Alder
Cherry

plus Walmart bagged chips, all gone for the season now (mesquite.) I also have a bag of larger chips from Cameron's in hickory.

I've heard a lot about pecan but it doesn't grow up north. Someone said it's similar to apple but stronger, but not as much as hickory. That may be a good thing using an electric smoker.

What I DID notice is that in this electric, chips don't burn down to ashes... I don't know if that is something I'm doing, or typical of using electrics. I think the chips are still intact after 6+ hours, but black. I think the pellets turn black too, but I think that's normal for them, at least from what happens when I use them in a cast iron box for gas grilling. The finer Cameron's rice-like shavings I believe turn to ash though.

Never bought any of the wood from Cabella's, at this price I should. We have a Cabella's retail store 30 miles away. Also, on the Wally World R-O, just came back from there. Picked me up another 10 bags, thats 30 bags total for the month. A happy smoking I am set for. Smoking is still smoking even if you use staright charcoal and no wood. But my preference is still cherry, then apple, then mesquite, pecan -- dead last is hickory.

Lord of the Ring if you want to smoke or grill with all wood with all that extra smoke your getting here is something for you to try. You'll need a small burn barrel and your favorite wood, or even the open ground. Just burn the wood and shovel/scoop up the coals only and put them in the weber. Its easier than trying to regulate the air flow and helps cut down on the crud depositing in your cooker. Too much smoke is a combo of not enough air and too much wood. Another thing, you you use wood are you using wood with bark? Bark makes for a lot of smoke and also alters the aroma and taste.

Pecan has a stronger flavor similar to hickory where Apple is milder.

Both will work with just about any meat.

I prefer Hickory above both but that's just me.

Thanks for everybody's replies.

Maybe I better try finding smaller amounts to try first to decide. But that would usually mean getting stuff somewhere else or more than one place, sometimes multiple shipping charges, etc, which would defeat the purpose of this thread--to save money!

Were you planning on buying over $25 of wood chips? I was only going to buy a 20lb bag of pellets and maybe a bag of wood chips. That was $4.95 shipping!

Cabela's shipping is usually based on how much you spend, unless it's oversize.

Orders under $25 are only $4.95!
$25.01 - $50.00 = $7.95!
$50.01 - $75.00 = $9.95
$75.01 - $100.00 = $10.95

Also, I started searching for more wood charts and on BBQr's Delight's site, the month of September Apple Pellets are on sale for a 1lb bag for only $3.49 WITH FREE SHIPPING! How can you beat free shipping? (Well, unless you buy the 20lb bag from Cabela's.)

They say a 1lb bag is good for 10 uses, I assume in a smoker box on a grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky