Cabela's 40" electric smoekr questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The Kamado Kooker black Akorn by Char-Griller is $229 on sale at Lowes ($20 less than two years ago when I bought the Big Red Kamado Kooker.)  Two or three wall insulated top and bottom with wood stove insulation vs. BGE heavy, with spring assisted lid opener, no stand $700 min.  I know you don't need a smoker.  Once you have experienced insulated smoking (MES), going to a bullet smoker as I have had in '97 is a step down.  My Kamado Kooker, shown in my avatar IMO is better than the MES.  20 briquettes, not lump=24hrs.@225*F  .  With a big removeable ash pan because BGE can't accomadate the ash from briquettes.  Stay insulated Rick!

-Kurt    
You can relax, Kurt. I am so insulated I have no idea what is happening in the outside world. Ignorant is bliss especially if you surround it with clouds of wood smoke rising up out of my MES. I haven't stepped outside my house (except to the backyard) since 1975. That would make it 2, no, 3 years ago, right? That was the year the rabbit ears on top of my 19" Sony Trinitron broke and I my Harman Kardon 330A AM/FM Stereo receiver blew a transistor. I haven't had any news from anywhere. I sprained a finger dialing a number with my Western Electric rotary dial telephone so I unplugged it from the wall.

Do you know if Saturday Night Live is still on the air? I was really looking forward to seeing the premiere show till my TV went down.

I've seen the Kamodo Kooker's at Lowe's. Don't know the difference between the red and black models and don't understand how they're different from the BGE and I've no desire to own a BGE. But you confuse me, sir. You said your KK in your opinion is better than the MES. But then you lauded the virtue of insulated smoking of the MES and advised me to stay insulated. I'm nota Char-Griller fan anyway. And any way you look at it my MES 30 remains a great smoker for a lower price than those others, which is why I bought it in the first place.

Last edited:

You can relax, Kurt. I am so insulated I have no idea what is happening in the outside world. Ignorant is bliss especially if you surround it with clouds of wood smoke rising up out of my MES. I haven't stepped outside my house (except to the backyard) since 1975. That would make it 2, no, 3 years ago, right? That was the year the rabbit ears on top of my 19" Sony Trinitron broke and I my Harmon Kardon 330A AM/FM Stereo receiver blew a transistor. I haven't had any news from anywhere. I sprained a finger dialing a number with my Western Electric rotary dial telephone so I unplugged it from the wall.

Do you know if Saturday Night Live is still on the air? I was really looking forward to seeing the premiere show till my TV went down.

I've seen the Kamodo Kooker's at Lowe's. Don't know the difference between the red and black models and don't understand how they're different from the BGE and I've no desire to own a BGE. But you confuse me, sir. You said your KK in your opinion is better than the MES. But then you lauded the virtue of insulated smoking of the MES and advised me to stay insulated. I'm nota Char-Griller fan anyway. And any way you look at it my MES 30 remains a great smoker for a lower price than those others, which is why I bought it in the first place.
You said that if you went charcoal you'd go WSM.

I bought my MES 30 Gen 1 for convenience (I wanted an electric smoker) and for the price. But I imagine the BBQ turned out by offset stick burners is going to taste and look different from the electric smokers. Electrics use wood chips or pellets. Also, electric smokers can't produce smoke rings without employing a few hacks, if smoke rings are important to someone.

Also, my smoker is small and fits on a hand truck so it's easy to move in and out of my garage. If I had wanted a charcoal smoker, I would've bought a 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain. But I've been very happy with the little MES that I've owned for 3 years.
I just don't know what to say.  Other than a WSM is not insulated.

-Kurt

So if you keep your dog beside you for "just in case", does that mean she is not very good looking then?   ... just asking ... lol
LOL,  no.  she is a sweet heart but all of the previous comments made me think she might be crazy.  Until then I just thought she was just overly curious

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky