Cabela's 40" electric smoekr questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yes, i am making all of that for the event.  I currently have 4 flavors, all beef and I'm trying to make a maple bacon jerky.  I haven't decided if I will be making it with Jalapeno or not.  i think the non Hot reach more people, and since it is bacon, i would think everyone will want to try it.  lol

Ricksta, Are you in the area?
Rob, I'm in Washington state. And you have to make the the jalapeno beef jerky. Not only will it be in heavy demand but I think it's the law or something? Maple bacon jerky? Just about now I'm wishing I were your next door neighbor.

Rob, I'm in Washington state. And you have to make the the jalapeno beef jerky. Not only will it be in heavy demand but I think it's the law or something? Maple bacon jerky? Just about now I'm wishing I were your next door neighbor.
My neighbors are usually very happy just smelling the air coming from my yard.  1 night I was smoking (about 11:00PM) and my neighbor smelled the smoke but didn't know where it was coming from.  So she took her dog for a walk and searched until she found me.  LOL

So you think the Maple jalapeno rather than Maple and Sea salt is better with the bacon?

First off, i'm going to assume your name is Rick rather than typing your profile.  I hope that doesn't offend you.  lol

Second, that is a brilliant idea.  I forgot all about the groups.  I think I belog to a new jersey smokers group.  I took off a while from the site.  I didn't do much during the winter so I forgot all of the subtle advantages of this site.  I will check.  Thanks for the great idea,  If you enter that competition, Lot of luck to you!
I never mind being called Rick because, well, it's my name. I think I joined the WA smokers group two years ago but they were planning a camping/smoking event and I can't go camping anymore. I spend most of my time in the Electric Smokers groups and other times in a beef or pork group depending on what I've smoked.

Thanks for wishing me luck but I'm attending as a spectator and eater. The entry fee is $150 any way. But I can't see me among all the pro and amateur teams with their big rigs while I wheel out my tiny little MES 30 all by my lonesome. Who knows where the nearest power outlet would be? Can you imagine the length of the extension cord I'd need to use?

I never mind being called Rick because, well, it's my name. I think I joined the WA smokers group two years ago but they were planning a camping/smoking event and I can't go camping anymore. I spend most of my time in the Electric Smokers groups and other times in a beef or pork group depending on what I've smoked.

Thanks for wishing me luck but I'm attending as a spectator and eater. The entry fee is $150 any way. But I can't see me among all the pro and amateur teams with their big rigs while I wheel out my tiny little MES 30 all by my lonesome. Who knows where the nearest power outlet would be? Can you imagine the length of the extension cord I'd need to use?
ROFL.

How do you create a group?

My neighbors are usually very happy just smelling the air coming from my yard.  1 night I was smoking (about 11:00PM) and my neighbor smelled the smoke but didn't know where it was coming from.  So she took her dog for a walk and searched until she found me.  LOL

So you think the Maple jalapeno rather than Maple and Sea salt is better with the bacon?
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the jalapeno jerky would be separate from the maple bacon. In that case I'd stick with maple, bacon and sea salt. Jalapeno and cheddar cheese is a really popular combo right now. It's my son's favorite bagel. Is it possible to make jerky with cheese--maybe a powdered cheddar cheese since regular cheese needs to be cold smoked? Anyway, the jalapeno jerky could be Mexican flavored with cumin, chili powder, garlic, cilantro, maybe some fresh lime juice squeezed on it to finish it off?

ROFL.

How do you create a group?
As I understand it you seek out one of the moderators to pitch them your group idea and see if they approve it. The only mod I know of is Pineywoods. Bearcarver is your best bet to find out who they are and the rules for creating a group.

Last edited:

As I understand it you seek out one of the moderators to pitch them your group idea and see if they approve it. The only mod I know of is Pineywoods. Bearcarver is your best bet to find out who they are and the rules for creating a group.
Thank you Rick.

Ha! My daughter lives a few blocks from me. (Probably 1/3-1/2 mile as the crow flies.)  She says she always knows when I'm smoking because her dog, Izzy, will go out in the back yard and just sit & sniff the air.

Was she looking for a boyfriend/husband?  What's the name of the dog?  The dog knew where to find good smoked food! 

-Kurt 

On second thought, I'd probably greatly resent you if you were smoking next door and I wasn't invited. I live in an area where we all live on acreage and I've got a neighbor who apparently has a smoker because every so often I smell oak or hickory smoke coming from his direction. I always curse him out to my wife because it's him who's smoking at the moment and not me.

You neighbor was using her dog to sniff you at at 11:00 PM???!!!!! She's either a smoked food fanatic or a smoked food stalker. If I were you when she comes walking by with her dog I'd keep my finger poised over the 911 quick dial button on my cell phone...

I have a question. An electric model is only for convenience ? Or is there an actual taste and quality difference?
I bought my MES 30 Gen 1 for convenience (I wanted an electric smoker) and for the price. But I imagine the BBQ turned out by offset stick burners is going to taste and look different from the electric smokers. Electrics use wood chips or pellets. Also, electric smokers can't produce smoke rings without employing a few hacks, if smoke rings are important to someone.

Also, my smoker is small and fits on a hand truck so it's easy to move in and out of my garage. If I had wanted a charcoal smoker, I would've bought a 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain. But I've been very happy with the little MES that I've owned for 3 years.

Ha! My daughter lives a few blocks from me. (Probably 1/3-1/2 mile as the crow flies.)  She says she always knows when I'm smoking because her dog, Izzy, will go out in the back yard and just sit & sniff the air.
AWESOME.  

On second thought, I'd probably greatly resent you if you were smoking next door and I wasn't invited. I live in an area where we all live on acreage and I've got a neighbor who apparently has a smoker because every so often I smell oak or hickory smoke coming from his direction. I always curse him out to my wife because it's him who's smoking at the moment and not me.

You neighbor was using her dog to sniff you at at 11:00 PM???!!!!! She's either a smoked food fanatic or a smoked food stalker. If I were you when she comes walking by with her dog I'd keep my finger poised over the 911 quick dial button on my cell phone...
ROFL.  No, she is just nosy.  i kept my dog beside me to be safe.  Like I can get rid of him if I even wanted when I'm smoking.  lol 

I use my Charbroil grill as a smoker. I have been doing pretty awesome with. After you get your airflow and chimney down for circulation I do 9 hours at time using chips and straight brickets (tried lump charcoal gets to hot) temp between 225 and 250. I AM AM BUILDING A CONVERSION UNIT. That works of propane but will still give you a great smoke with electric air circulators. Im hoping to have done next week. It takes time when you build every part, but after research should work great. Fingers crossed.

ROFL.  No, she is just nosy.  i kept my dog beside me to be safe.  Like I can get rid of him if I even wanted when I'm smoking.  lol 
So if you keep your dog beside you for "just in case", does that mean she is not very good looking then?   ... just asking ... lol

I bought my MES 30 Gen 1 for convenience (I wanted an electric smoker) and for the price. But I imagine the BBQ turned out by offset stick burners is going to taste and look different from the electric smokers. Electrics use wood chips or pellets. Also, electric smokers can't produce smoke rings without employing a few hacks, if smoke rings are important to someone.

Also, my smoker is small and fits on a hand truck so it's easy to move in and out of my garage. If I had wanted a charcoal smoker, I would've bought a 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain. But I've been very happy with the little MES that I've owned for 3 years.
The Kamado Kooker black Akorn by Char-Griller is $229 on sale at Lowes ($20 less than two years ago when I bought the Big Red Kamado Kooker.)  Two or three wall insulated top and bottom with wood stove insulation vs. BGE heavy, with spring assisted lid opener, no stand $700 min.  I know you don't need a smoker.  Once you have experienced insulated smoking (MES), going to a bullet smoker as I have had in '97 is a step down.  My Kamado Kooker, shown in my avatar IMO is better than the MES.  20 briquettes, not lump=24hrs.@225*F  .  With a big removeable ash pan because BGE can't accomadate the ash from briquettes.  Stay insulated Rick!

-Kurt    

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky