By request: Snake Bitten Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
I am sure if ya did a search you probably could find it but since it was requested I will repost. Hope you enjoy!

Shooters Snake Bitten Chicken and Seafood Rub
This recipe is my twist on jerk. It has a definite bite of spice coupled with the South American style hint of sweet to balance it out.
3/4 cup raw sugar
¼ cup sea salt
1tbs red pepper flakes
1tbs garlic powder
1tbs onion powder
1tbs Hungarian Paprika

2 tsp all spice
1 tsp black pepper course
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp Wasabi powder
1 tsp cumin

Mix all and rub chicken well. Let set overnight in fridge and smoke to 170 degrees internal temp. Smoker at 275-300 degrees.

The injection I like for this is 1 cup apple juice, 1 juice from whole Key Lime, 1 standard shot Meyers’s Rum

Also good on seafood.

I can highly recommend it.
biggrin.gif
I've made it quite a few times.

I can't say enough good things about Rick's copperhead snakebite rub. I've used it on chicken, salmon and recently on pork chops and it was fantastic every time. Not a beef rub, mind you, but anything else, you have to try this stuff.

ShooterRick has something going on with this rub, and I recommend it.

Gettin ready to make a batch of the rub now for tomorrows quarters (c'mon weather, hold out for me)

Can we make this a sticky since there seems to be quite the following for this stuff?

I second Mr. Dude's motion to make Rick's Snake Bitten Chicken a sticky....I just smoked a chicken using it and its great.

Wasabi concerns. The thing I have found about Wasabi is that it brings the heat and then the heat is gone. It is a shortlived kinda bite with wasabi. I do not use it anywhere else other than the Snake Bitten Chicken recipe. It just seemed right for this recipe and I think it adds a touch of Horseraddish to it. After all in this country Wasabi is powdered horseraddish as true wassabi root looses its freshness very quickly.

Rick's Snakebite has such the following that I am making it a Sticky.

Reactions: sharryn
This is my favorite go to bird rub - I have even used it in the oven with great success 

wow, sounds good and based on the reviews from everyone that has tried it, looks like I just might have to as well

I am sure if ya did a search you probably could find it but since it was requested I will repost. Hope you enjoy!

Shooters Snake Bitten Chicken and Seafood Rub
This recipe is my twist on jerk. It has a definite bite of spice coupled with the South American style hint of sweet to balance it out.
3/4 cup raw sugar
¼ cup sea salt
1tbs red pepper flakes
1tbs garlic powder
1tbs onion powder
1tbs Hungarian Paprika

2 tsp all spice
1 tsp black pepper course
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp Wasabi powder
1 tsp cumin

Mix all and rub chicken well. Let set overnight in fridge and smoke to 170 degrees internal temp. Smoker at 275-300 degrees.

The injection I like for this is 1 cup apple juice, 1 juice from whole Key Lime, 1 standard shot Meyers’s Rum

Also good on seafood.[/quot

I don't have an injector so should I brine instead?

Sorry to bring back an old post but I just made this and I'm afraid I may have just rubbed some really salty chicken. 

I didn't have any sea salt, so I used kosher salt.  I looked at the conversion table at the morton's site which said that for 1/4 cup of sea salt, I should use 1/4 cup + TBL of kosher so I did it.  Now I'm thinking that it doesn't make sense to need MORE kosher salt than the sea salt that the recipe recommends.  Shouldn't it be less? 

Hopefully when I smoke this chicken tomorrow, it turns out Ok.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky