Butt's Were Cheap...Then I Smoked One. with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gotarace

Limited Mod
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
northern wisconsin
The local market had a truckload pork sale so i had to take advantage of that..10 butts and 20 racks of baby back ribs later... i was on the way home to rearrange the freezer to make everything fit. This butt was victim number 1..  7.7 lbs just waiting to be pulled pork.
eb1886af_011.jpg
I trim the fat cap and apply a generous amount of my sweet and sassy rub. Then it went to the refrigerator for a overnight rest.
654940eb_013.jpg
After the overnight rest and a morning at work.. my butt was ready to hit the smoker. I had purchased a new A-MAZE-N Pellet burner from Todd and thought this would be a perfect place to use it. I filled the A-MAZE-N with hickory pellets and lit it with a pencil tip propane torch. You need to let the flames burn on the pellets for 5-7 minutes before blowing them out, so they are burning well before you put  the A-MAZE-N in your smoker.
9a99ea3f_008.jpg
I got 11 hours of smoke from this fill of pellets...@ 225 in my MES 30. It is great that this fits on the bars in my MES...now i don't have to remove my bottom drip pan to set my 6x8 on the smokers bottom below the bars. The smoke output from the new pellet A-MAZE-N is probably twice that of the dust burner...like lighting both ends of the duster.

The butt finally made it to the smoker at 1 PM ...MES preheated at 225 and i set back for the ride.

f4fa61c8_006.jpg
Butt at the 5 hour mark...154*.

At 156* this butt went into a 2.5 hour stall....it just sat there and the waiting game was on.

It took 10 hours for this butt to hit 167. Into a covered foil pan it went with 4 ounces of apple juice.

At this point i brought the foiled pan into the house and finished it in a preheated 240* oven. I took the butt to 205* as pulled pork is what this guy wanted.

12e2139c_003.jpg

Foil pan opened and the butt was so tender it was starting to crack apart in the pan...

I poured the juices into a bowl...put in the freezer to separate the fat...and added the juices to the finished pulled pork. 
e43e8e3d_007.jpg
Here it is...pulled and ready for a sammy. Bear View ALERT !!!
0ef9d822_017.jpg

I use SoFlaQuer's finish sauce and you haven't tried it please do!!!! 

Well It's Sammy time...
2c812b7d_014.jpg
My first sammy..potato salad...and chips

The second sammy i thinned a bit of Famous Dave's "Devil Spit" BBQ sauce and gave that a try but i preferred the PP straight up.

Thanks for looking....Len

Looks awesome
drool.gif

Whhooo hoooo!!

That looks fabulous!! It's even better the next day.

Winn Dixie just put butts at 1.79 for 2 days.

Only problem is my freezers are pretty much full.

Wheeeee!!

Craig

Whhooo hoooo!!

That looks fabulous!! It's even better the next day.

Winn Dixie just put butts at 1.79 for 2 days.

Only problem is my freezers are pretty much full.

Wheeeee!!

Craig
Thank you Craig...was a great deal but i may have to sleep on the freezer to keep it closed!!! LOL

man, that looks great.  Nice job!
Thanks Jared...gotta love pulled pork...it's always more than one meal.

Looks Great...
Thank you Beer...In fact i had a few beers smokin this butt..

Last edited:
Looks good enough to beat a Bear for! LOL
biggrin.gif

Speaking of... where is Bear, haven't seen a post from him in a while.

Looks good enough to beat a Bear for! LOL
biggrin.gif

Speaking of... where is Bear, haven't seen a post from him in a while.
Thank you Johnny...I'm scared ...Bear on vacation...hide the smoked goodies!!!

Looks great Len. Crusty and juicy. Yum. I think I'm inspired now. I've been wanting to do one. Plus they are on sale here for 1.29 a pound.
yahoo.gif
Thanks Alelover...Nothing like a pork sale to get a guy smoking...that is a nice price.
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky