Butt's Were Cheap...Then I Smoked One. with Q-View

Discussion in 'Pork' started by gotarace, Jun 29, 2011.

1. The local market had a truckload pork sale so i had to take advantage of that..10 butts and 20 racks of baby back ribs later... i was on the way home to rearrange the freezer to make everything fit. This butt was victim number 1..  7.7 lbs just waiting to be pulled pork.[​IMG]I trim the fat cap and apply a generous amount of my sweet and sassy rub. Then it went to the refrigerator for a overnight rest.[​IMG]After the overnight rest and a morning at work.. my butt was ready to hit the smoker. I had purchased a new A-MAZE-N Pellet burner from Todd and thought this would be a perfect place to use it. I filled the A-MAZE-N with hickory pellets and lit it with a pencil tip propane torch. You need to let the flames burn on the pellets for 5-7 minutes before blowing them out, so they are burning well before you put  the A-MAZE-N in your smoker.[​IMG]I got 11 hours of smoke from this fill of [email protected] 225 in my MES 30. It is great that this fits on the bars in my MES...now i don't have to remove my bottom drip pan to set my 6x8 on the smokers bottom below the bars. The smoke output from the new pellet A-MAZE-N is probably twice that of the dust burner...like lighting both ends of the duster.

The butt finally made it to the smoker at 1 PM ...MES preheated at 225 and i set back for the ride.

[​IMG]Butt at the 5 hour mark...154*.

At 156* this butt went into a 2.5 hour stall....it just sat there and the waiting game was on.

It took 10 hours for this butt to hit 167. Into a covered foil pan it went with 4 ounces of apple juice.

At this point i brought the foiled pan into the house and finished it in a preheated 240* oven. I took the butt to 205* as pulled pork is what this guy wanted.

[​IMG]

Foil pan opened and the butt was so tender it was starting to crack apart in the pan...

I poured the juices into a bowl...put in the freezer to separate the fat...and added the juices to the finished pulled pork. [​IMG]Here it is...pulled and ready for a sammy. Bear View ALERT !!![​IMG]

I use SoFlaQuer's finish sauce and you haven't tried it please do!!!! 

Well It's Sammy time...[​IMG]My first sammy..potato salad...and chips

The second sammy i thinned a bit of Famous Dave's "Devil Spit" BBQ sauce and gave that a try but i preferred the PP straight up.

Thanks for looking....Len

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome [​IMG]

3. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Whhooo hoooo!!

That looks fabulous!! It's even better the next day.

Winn Dixie just put butts at 1.79 for 2 days.

Only problem is my freezers are pretty much full.

Wheeeee!!

Craig

4. jared101

jared101 Fire Starter

man, that looks great.  Nice job!

5. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks Great...

6. Thanks Piney...Pulled Pork tacos next!!!

7. Yes Sir! Good lookin!

8. Thank you Craig...was a great deal but i may have to sleep on the freezer to keep it closed!!! LOL

Thanks Jared...gotta love pulled pork...it's always more than one meal.

Thank you Beer...In fact i had a few beers smokin this butt..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

9. Ty Dtcunni...appreciate the positive comments.

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great! Excellent bark!

11. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

looks great man [​IMG]

12. seaham358

seaham358 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Super job.. that's a ton of juice in the pan..  Nice pics

13. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fantastic!!

14. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great from here too!!

15. ohm

ohm StickBurners SMF Premier Member

Nice score and great job!

16. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good enough to beat a Bear for! LOL [​IMG]

Speaking of... where is Bear, haven't seen a post from him in a while.

17. Looks great Len. Crusty and juicy. Yum. I think I'm inspired now. I've been wanting to do one. Plus they are on sale here for 1.29 a pound. [​IMG]

18. Thanks Al ...it turned out good...that AMPS worked well;

Thank you Sunman...

Thanks seaham...froze off the fat and those juices went right back where they came from.

19. Thank you Terry!!!

Thanks Cowgirl...pulled pork soft shell taco's tonight.

Thanks Ohm...i love a good smoked meal.

20. Thank you Johnny...I'm scared ...Bear on vacation...hide the smoked goodies!!!

Thanks Alelover...Nothing like a pork sale to get a guy smoking...that is a nice price.[​IMG]