Butts and first time Brisky...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 21, 2009
Fruita, Colorado
I've cooked a fair amount of brisket, but never one in WALLE..

I was talking to an S.O.B. here in town earlier this week that some of you may know as BASSMAN, who was mack'en down on a pulled pork chimichanga for breakfast.. and he just HAD to share that with me.
I've been hungry for pulled pork ever since.

The BIL, SIL, and family are here for the weekend so I decided to stock up on pulled pork and happened to find a small brisket that called to me.

Basic rub on the shoulders and some minced garlic, garlic salt and a little Candian Steak on the brisket.

Since I have to wait all day, figured you all might as well wait with me!

Ready for prep this morning

In the smoker

...and now we wait!

Thanks for checking out my post.
Tracey / message sig

Tracey that is looking awesome man - Cant wait to see the finished product

Wow Tracey

You're hammerin' 'em now!
Lookin' great!

I await the finale.

I got a little Brisket going now too, but only one little Brisket (4.5 lb flat)----Also my first.

I don't understand----If it's such a tuff old Pectoral muscle, and has to be made special to be edible, why the "H" is it $4.79 per pound?

Better be GREAT!

Bear

Looks like a great start

$4.79/LB !!  Dang!  I paid $1.98 here at Sams....  I know it will be good, BC.

Wow Tracey

I don't understand----If it's such a tuff old Pectoral muscle, and has to be made special to be edible, why the "H" is it $4.79 per pound?

Better be GREAT!

Bear
On to the post!

Sorry for the delay...got to sipping barley pop and visiting!

Burnt Ends - now this was a first for me on the brisket - WOW! I don't know if I suprised more by how good they were, or how fast they vanished. Litterally - I snagged one when I pulled them, brought them in the house, went back to tend the fire, came back in and they were GONE!

So.. on to the rest - everything turned out great and I have a pile of pulled pork to chew on!

Butts pulled - forgot the ABT's.. so had to do them on the grill with a hickory bomb - check out my new holder that my pard Bassman gave me - swell guy that Bassman!

Some watermelon from the garden and Bassman#1 with cheddar and jalapenos - awesome pulled pork sammie material!

So there ya have it - thanks for checking out my post. I had a blast yesterday and hope everyone else had a great weekend.

Tracey / message sig

Looks great Tracey,

Barley pops are like a time machine, by the time you are done, you just don't know where the time went.

Great Job !

Wow Tracey---All looks GREAT!!

So many of you guys do these huge multiple smokes, and I usually just do one or two racks. I guess it's because my wife isn't a big "smoked meat" person. Oh well, when she had the good taste to pick me, I knew most of her good taste wasn't in her mouth.
rolleyes.gif

Bear

all looks awesome! what gets me is you look at the 1st pic with all the meat on the counter and it looks like way too much. then you look at the pic of the meat loaded onto the racks and they look small!

all looks awesome! what gets me is you look at the 1st pic with all the meat on the counter and it looks like way too much. then you look at the pic of the meat loaded onto the racks and they look small!
icon_smile.gif
 yeah... my smoker is pretty good sized, that's why I try to load it up - takes just as much fuel to smoke six as it does one!

I'm guessing I could smoke right at 10 per rack if I needed to.

Thanks, Chef - and everyone else.

Tracey

I missed your post over here.  Glad to see you got that whole load of meat done.  Looks excellent!

Last edited:
Very nice looking rig you got there!!! Go big or go home, eh???
icon_cool.gif

That bread looks fantastic! I went looking for the recipe in the bread forum but could not find it... Do you think you can put up a link? I love sourdough and I'm aching to make some fresh sammies!!! 

icon_cool.gif

You did one fine job there Tracy. I'd like some of that bread myself. Then it does look as if you are excpecting and army too.

dang Tracey!!! now thats called  a buttload a butts man!!! and some sweet looking loafs to go wit dat pulled pork. look like dem gonna be some sweet sammies!!!
points.gif

That bread looks fantastic! I went looking for the recipe in the bread forum but could not find it... Do you think you can put up a link? I love sourdough and I'm aching to make some fresh sammies!!! 
Johnny,

Here's the link to the cheddar jalapeno bread I've been making

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95972/bassman-sourdough-1-with-cheddar-and-jalapeno

This is some awesome stuff and rocks with everything from eggs to grilled cheese.  I've even added this to regular bread it is good.  Very simple as you will see.

You can add it in as you are mixing your dough, or if you want some plain, some C/J, you can knead it in after the first proof once you've separated your plain dough.  Bake at whatever temp you use for your bread.

You can also use either pickled japs (from the store) or fresh.  I've got a boat load of japs in the garden this year, so I've just been chopping the fresh ones. I'm using about 3 medium sized fresh japs, seeded, per loaf.  It does have a little kick, but nothing even the kids can't handled.  Like anything else - adjust according to your taste.

Thanks!

Wow awesome post Tracey

Looks like you started off with about 60lbs of pork, what was your yield?

How do you keep the pork from getting smashed and the liquid siphoning out of the bag when you vacuum seal it, do you partially freeze it before sealing?

SQIB,These averaged 8#/butt, so right at 50. I didn't/don't weight after cooking, but in the past, I've figured with bone and fat, you lose about 3#'s per butt.On the vaccum part - I've never had any trouble with that. I do pan and foil my butts as explained above. I remove the butt from the pan and pour all the juice into a contain that goes into the fridge over night for the fat to harden, then you're left with pure pork butt juice heaven that I divide according to the number of packages I freeze and freeze separately to add back when I heat them up.Once the butts have cooled enought to pull, they are good and moist, but not juicy. I let them sit a bit in a bowl, then package, seal, and freeze.?? I know what you are talking about with moist foods, but haven't ever had that problem with butts. If I did, my sealer has a "moist foods" setting, or you could simply hit the "seal" button when you seen the juice getting close to the top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky