Buttermilk brine for Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paulmart

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
I'm planning on doing a turkey breast tomorrow! I've been doing buttermilk brines for all things chicken lately. Since I've started doing this brine, I've made some of the best chicken I've ever had

1L buttermilk
1/4c salt
1/4c brown sugar
Green onion
Garlic
...other random things

Has anyone ever tried a buttermilk brine for turkey?
Can anyon give me a reason not to?

Works just fine for turkey. If you really want a treat try your butter milk brine on pork chops then bread them and smoker fry them up!

Pork chops!
Oh yeah, ill try that for sure!

My brine ended up being

1l buttermilk
1/4c kosher salt
1/4c brown sugar
2 green onions chopped

With a coffee grinder I mixed

1 sprig of rosemary
A pinch of dill..yes, dill
minched onion
garlic powder

Then gently heated all together while stirring hard, just till salt and sugar was completely dissolved

I did inject...lol
mistake???

I nearly always buttermilk brine, then also use it in the flour coating in my Southern Fried Chicken. It does though cause a change in the skins texture I have noticed. I assume due to the lactic acid which is also why we use it to tenderize.

Never really assoc. the buttermilk taste with a turkey though. Looking forward to a review.

Definitely in on this.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I did buttermilk brine on Thanksgiving bird and I actually enjoyed breast meat for once, rave reviews all around

About 21 hours of buttermilk brine

Out of the brine and rinsed

I pat it dry, then air dry for roughly an hour

Rub!

1/2c brown sugar
pinch garlic powder
pinch minced onion
pinch rosemary
2 pinches of paprika
pinch of white pepper
small pinch of chipoltle

I know this picture doesnt show much, but I'd hate to be smited by the q-view gods

Going on the smoker in an hour or so!

I switched to this charcoal by accident.. I wouldnt have purchased it had the it been priced correctly (waayyy more than what im used to paying)

I have to say. How fast the chimney turned into fully glowing coals and how hot it felt to be around it was VERY noticable!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky