Butt Cooking Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm cooking brisket and butts for an event and I need to have everything done on time. My question is, is it better to start earlier and pack into coolers? What if I'm done hours ahead of schedule? How long can the meat hold temp in the coolers? I'm cooking 5 whole briskets and 5 butts. Thanks guys.

Just smoked another butt on my Rec Tec... first 9 hrs were at 235.  The meat was about 165 -170 IT.  The last hour in a pan with apple cider and Kraken to get it around 190-200 IT.  Then rest in a cooler for about an hour... Time to get the rest of the stuff together and to make another Kraken and RC.  Oh, and add bbq sauce on the top during that last hr for a bit more flavor flav... 

Last edited:
Agree SM... But I still spritz a few times on my ribs, the kids love the flavor... Not really sure if they can tell or if they just like to see me spritz or if I let my 9 yr old daughter do it.  But it's gotta be done quick so the least amount of heat and smoke get out.

Agree SM... But I still spritz a few times on my ribs, the kids love the flavor... Not really sure if they can tell or if they just like to see me spritz or if I let my 9 yr old daughter do it.  But it's gotta be done quick so the least amount of heat and smoke get out.
Point taken, fish. If it gets the youngsters involved, it's a whole lot more fun, and what can it really hurt? :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky