Buck Board Bacon by SQWIB - Photo Overload

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dang... I missed this one.......
hit.gif
.. Freekin awesome Sqwibb...............
icon14.gif

Thanks for the inspiration SQWIB. I just ordered an AMNPS so I could start cold smoking stuff and BBB is 2nd on my priority list (the wife wants some smoked cheddar for her holiday mac and cheese so that's 1st).

When it comes to smoking meat, there's always a lot of talk about brisket which is very good, but(t) pork is King to me,..... and BACON (belly and BBB) is the jeweled crown on the King!

Nice pics. Thanks.

The pics are awesome and I will be heading East for one of them Bagel Breakfast Sammiches ASAP...JJ

SQUIB, your my hero.  I have a butt in cure right now that will come out on the week of 11/5 and I am going to be tracking your process.

first.gif

I know this post is 'older', but I was looking into making some bacon and came across buck board bacon.  I have made some belly bacon before with my grandpa in his smoke house, but I don't think we ever made any out of a pork butt.  (If he did, I don't remember...)

Anyway, being in S. Texas, I don't get much opportunity to make this during the year, so I plan to sick this one in the recipe vault and save for winter time.  At least I get a long time to watch for butt sales :)

I think I'll try to make enough to last my family all year.  

One question, in case anyone is still following this thread.  Do you think I'll save $$ by making bacon vs buying it in the store?  Sometimes I know making things at home are more expensive and I justify that by the difference in quality and controlled environment, but this time, I'm just curious.

I know this post is 'older', but I was looking into making some bacon and came across buck board bacon.  I have made some belly bacon before with my grandpa in his smoke house, but I don't think we ever made any out of a pork butt.  (If he did, I don't remember...)

Anyway, being in S. Texas, I don't get much opportunity to make this during the year, so I plan to sick this one in the recipe vault and save for winter time.  At least I get a long time to watch for butt sales :)

I think I'll try to make enough to last my family all year.  

One question, in case anyone is still following this thread.  Do you think I'll save $$ by making bacon vs buying it in the store?  Sometimes I know making things at home are more expensive and I justify that by the difference in quality and controlled environment, but this time, I'm just curious.
For me it was just for fun and to try it, maybe someone will chime in soon as to costs.

I prefer store bought bacon over BBB, However...on a sandwich, the BBB is pretty darn good.

RedNeck, for decent bacon you will pay $3.50 and up per pound. Not that Corn King crap that they put on sale for $1.99/pound.

Skinless bellies run me $1.87/pound by the case. (~40#)

Pork Butts are $1.08/pound by the case. (~60#).

@SQWIB, maybe I missed the why microwave after frying. Is that to reduce the grease in it?

I gotta try all those recipes that you posted. Looks delicious. Thanks.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky