Bristket Slicing Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi All -

Slice and ate my pastrami tonight EXCELENT! I was a god example of grain changing direction too. I kow we were dicussing this easrlier somewhere so Buzzard this ones for you (and any one who doesn't understand why we watch meat grain when we slice.

The begining slices were standing up perfectly for a tender juicey bite.
Near in the center of the brisket half meat the grain clearly starts going across the slices (good for floss but bad for sandwiches). A few sliced later and it's really turned into straight grain cuts. I had to start slicing his from the side.

Hope this helps sure was yummy! Second best pastrami I ever ate! The first being in the Kosher section of NYC!

Debi

Hey Dutch ,
What was your final cooking temp. to make the brisket nice and sliceable and not falling apart ? I want good sammich meat. Anyones opinion please.

Skip

So do you cut WITH the grain? I'm sure that's a stupid question, but we're smoking our first in a few hours and I wanna get it as close to right as possible!
wink.gif

No stupid questions, just the one's not asked.

You want to cut across the grain, not with it. Best of luck with your brisket!!

Of COURSE I cut across grain, but I use an electric knife! That keeps it from falling apart. You could also chill it first.

Another way is to make a 1/4" cut across the grain near the bottom of the flat (opposite the deckle). While cooking it will expand to a V-type cut, plainly visible after cooking. Just cut parallel to it and you're going across the grain. You can make others further up the flat if the grain changes. Much like scoring a ham for Christmas dinner for that diamond look.
Sometimes, however, it's best not to know.. trial and error will find the grain and you *have* to eat your mistakes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky