Brisket on my stick burner.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
IMG_6743.JPG
Started at 7:30 am. 7 hours in 1 spritz at 7 hour mark and don't think it even needed it. Brisket looked moist the whole time. Actually had a bunch of juices on the top and no bacon was over it. I just did put 2 slices over it now tho. I just put in my meat probe and I'm at 181. Slid in like butter. No foiling at all and using oak about 50% cherry about 30% and walnut. Did a brine last night and put some grill mates sweet and smokey run on. Brisket was 6.5 pounds. More pics coming. Fat side up btw and been right at 250 and it's 39 degree outside and 30+ winds.

IMG_6744.JPG
More pics. Juices on top are from this brisket only. Didn't injected it. Even tho I'm thinking about injecting it with butter around 195 degree. Thoughts with that?

IMG_6333.JPG
The all stainless cooker and security.

IMG_6751.JPG
Doesn't take much for this pit to run at 250. I broke down couple pieces and tossed on a new split of cherry after taking the pic.

Last edited:
IMG_6734.JPG
That's the walnut doing its job. It just clicked 199 few minutes ago. So 9 hour cook at 250 with 6.5 pound brisket

IMG_6753.JPG
All done. It's in the cooler. Looks like a little bark.

Question on the Walnut....did it impart a weird flavor? I've stayed away from walnut, though it has a great heat content. I thought some walnut was poisonous...at least to horses it is!

IMG_7675.JPG
No tastes good. I ran 1/2 walnut half 1/2 oak on some pork loin once and tasted great. I think there's a big myth going around that's it's not a good smoking wood but that's not true and I think almost everyone out there is going off hear say. I seen a guy on man,fire, food use walnut the other day when I was whatching. I actually just put some new piston rings in my chain saw Sunday and carved out some cookies, figured they would dry fast this way then I can take the axe to it and break it into chunks. This is black walnut. There's a word missing in the name tho I think

Reactions: yieldmap
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky