Brisket help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Honda110cc1

Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Hi guys so this is my first time smoke a brisket and I did all my homework watched videos read forums but i think its going too fast. It just the flat they took the tri tip off i think because i only wanted a 9 pounder. Anyways it's been on for 3 hours and already hit 154. I'm using a pit boss pellet smoker set at 225. When should I wrap it/ do I need to wrap it if it's going this fast

If you know the thermometer you're using is accurate then it probably is. Just doing a flat is gonna go faster than a full packer. Wrap or no wrap... personal preference on each individual and what you use to wrap also. Foil will really soften your bark, butcher paper not so much. Also what time do you plan on eating? Need to figure in some time for resting. With all that said, most wrap around 160 to 165. Being just a flat it might help to wrap so it doesn't dry out.

Ryan

Reactions: Honda110cc1
I would certainly wrap it if it’s just a flat. For me personally I would use foil with some beef broth and you can just finish it in the oven.
Al

If you know the thermometer you're using is accurate then it probably is. Just doing a flat is gonna go faster than a full packer. Wrap or no wrap... personal preference on each individual and what you use to wrap also. Foil will really soften your bark, butcher paper not so much. Also what time do you plan on eating? Need to figure in some time for resting. With all that said, most wrap around 160 to 165. Being just a flat it might help to wrap so it doesn't dry out.

Ryan
I wrapped it at 162 and it is definitely cooking slower now and it smells great and even giggles thanks for the help

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky