Brisket Gyros...really surprising how great it was, added to our list of of regulars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danabw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2020
We were having "Leftover Night" tonight (we're a waste not, want not kinda family) and one of our contenders was some of the brisket I smoked recently.

I was thinking of thin slices with BBQ sauce and homemade cole slaw my wife made yesterday, served on some homemade hamburger buns I baked a couple days ago. But then my son (the creative one in the family) said "Dad, how about using the brisket to make some gyros? We have the flat bread!" His suggestion was based on the fact that he had baked some flat bread earlier that day (he loves to cook and bake, and decided today was flat bread day). Quick inventory and we confirm we have some plain greek yogurt, fresh dill growing in the back yard, cucumbers, lettuce, onion, tomato... "Hmmm," says I..."do you think the smokiness of the brisket will seem strange w/the other flavors?" We discuss and decide it will be fine, and got into it, starting w/cutting some nice thin slices from the brisket and lightly pan frying them in some olive oil.

Just a little while later we sat down to what turned out to be a fantastic meal. Of course homemade flat bread and tzatziki sauce (with fresh backyard dill) will always be great, but the brisket surprised us in how well it melded with and added to the tastes, and just made it a great sandwich. Collective YUM! We ate it so fast I could only grab one quick pic as my wife was about to finish off her seconds. Getting her to pause for the photo was barely accomplished. :)

So think about this the next time you're looking for a creative way to apply your brisket, a visit to the Greek ilses may be just what you're looking for. Call it a "B-gyros." :)

2020-06-09 19_00_50-Photo - Google Photos.jpg

Mmmm I love gyros I bet those tasted fantastic with the fresh dill and cucumber... I love how smoked pork butt goes well with fresh cilantro and onions on tacos so I can only imagine how good a brisket gyro would be!

Reactions: Danabw
Looks great! I love makeing fresh tzatziki. Could you share the bread recipe by chance?
Thanks, WaterRat WaterRat . Here ya go! From a really excellent cookbook, all about cooking with cast iron. If you like this kinda stuff you might want to look into it. They have other breads (an easy and very good focaccia recipe my son has made a few times) as well as lots of other different entrees, desserts, etc.

Attached a couple of JPGs and a PDF as well to make it easier to view/print if you want to.

Screenshot_20200610-232254_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Screenshot_20200610-232059_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Attachments

• Griddled Flatbread - Cook it in Cast Iron.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks, WaterRat WaterRat . Here ya go! From a really excellent cookbook, all about cooking with cast iron. If you like this kinda stuff you might want to look into it. They have other breads (an easy and very good focaccia recipe my son has made a few times) as well as lots of other different entrees, desserts, etc.

Attached a couple of JPGs and a PDF as well to make it easier to view/print if you want to.

Awesome, thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky