Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello, this is my first post and want to thank you for any assistance anyone can give me, 

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Brinkmann Vertical Offset Trailmaster smoker, I figured since heat rises and this being vertical, I would have a more even smoke and possibly better temperature control then with a horizontal offset smoker. I am looking at this for my first smoker and saw it online from Home Depot. I have been doing ribs on my Weber Genesis gas grill for a couple of years and would like to try pork butt and brisket. ~ Joe
[h1] [/h1]

Greetings! I wish that had been available when I was I the market, I am a fan of the design concept. If it is built similarly in quality to he TMLE temp retention should be fine (I'm getting an average of 7 degree difference from end to end without a baffle plate or door clamps) but you will definitely want a charcoal basket and to seal it with high temp silicon. I'm also thinking that you will want door clamps and the one it comes with us probably not enough. Installing a ball valve grease drain might be a good idea too.

Greetings! I wish that had been available when I was I the market, I am a fan of the design concept. If it is built similarly in quality to he TMLE temp retention should be fine (I'm getting an average of 7 degree difference from end to end without a baffle plate or door clamps) but you will definitely want a charcoal basket and to seal it with high temp silicon. I'm also thinking that you will want door clamps and the one it comes with us probably not enough. Installing a ball valve grease drain might be a good idea too.

Tex, there is a whole other thread on lump, please read it over. Lots of good discussions.  IMO lump is much better for flavor and heat.  It does get hotter than briquets.  When I am doing a big smoke I use both.  Briquets are of course more consistent. Wicked Good is the best I have ever found.  It is hard to find.  Check out the thread and form your own opinion. 

Grimm, I agree, I like the design, smaller foot print.

I started on a vertical propane and always had to cut the rib slaps in half to fit.

Thats why I got the BTML so I would not have to anymore, or a nice 15lb brisket.

Jtrainor56, thats something to think about.

Okay I'm a Noob here.

I have just upgraded from the Brinkmann Smoke N Grill Smoker to the TMLE.  I've been reading all your post and mods for this grill.

I have already made the extended smoke intake mod., I made a [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]heat deflector from a [/color][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]22ga steel 12"x24" plate with increasing hole sizes drilled in. 
I've yet to make the Charcoal basket. can yall tell me what the benefit of this basket is?  What is the proper way to use this basket?
[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I've got two babk back rack ready to smoke tomorrow. Ill post my pictures and mods tomorrow.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks again.[/font]

Yes it does, it would be better if there was a double plate with air between them.

That will be on my next basket,

It does help, they don't all fire up at the same time.

What I do is, load it up except for a space at one end for about a 1/4 of a chimney worth.

Get that 1/4 lit, then dump it in that spot, right next to that I put a few chunks of smoking wood, what ever

you use, when I see a little smoke I put in the meat.

I made one similar to that but used the expanded metal as dividers. It didn't work very well as a maze but it did help keep the coals together. I might double wall them on angles to help prevent the fire jumping the wall.

The Royal Oak lump is the best I've used. In my area. I find it at our local Wal-mart. I also line the bottom of my basket with briquettes, just to "catch" as it burns down. I try to avoid Kingsford, and use natural lump like Stubbs.

I don't know for the rest of the Washington state smokers, but for myself its slim pickins on what I can get locally.

I could order better lump online, but thats a hassle.

I had a good place for smoking wood up here, but their web site is closed down now.

So its Royal Oak lump or Kingsford briquets or both.

Thanks for the comments on a vertical smoker, I didn't think about a full rack of ribs having to be cut in half... So I got up early this morning and started to look for something else and thought I would look on Craigslist. At 8am I spotted a Meadow Creek SQ36, that was just listed and was a couple of years old but looked in good shape. The guy wanted $400. I had to go out and came back a couple of hours later. I went back to the listing and it was already marked sold. I think I am just going to go for the BTLE and do the mods. 

Reactions: emptylane
I have used Royal Oak lump and Kingsford.

For me the lump burned longer, just did not stack in the basket very well, so it seamed like I was filling it more.

Kingsford burned hotter but makes a lot more ash, emptying tray more often.

So try both to see what works best for you.

You can get both just about anywhere.

I agree with Smokin NW.  But, really, it is a matter of preference and what your smoker takes on better.  I use either Kingsford or Royal Oak lump, but only as a starter.  I have been using wood, mostly, for the last couple of smokes because I can control the heat better.  When I get my mods finished (baffle and tuning plates), I may change back to charcoal and wood just for flavor.  It's whatever your smoker prefers.

Hi guys new guy here. Managed to talk my wife into getting me this smoker for my birthday. I started with a weber kettle and decided to go for something larger and more traditional. I have upgraded to a 90 degree elbow on the smoke stack. I also built a expanded metal charcoal box (huge help). I have sealed all the gaps with 500 degree rtv from autozone and I used grill felt from amazon on the lid. I have used it 3 weekends in a row and I could not be happier. It was purchased from my local BJs in Virginia Beach for 279.00. The charcoal brand is Frontier also found at BJs and it really seems to be a great quality lump. Well anyway I look forward to learning some tips and new recipes from everyone.

Day one added the lower thermometers.

View media item 224100
Pulled Pork 12 hrs at 225 cooked from 12am to 12pm it made a nice lunch.

Hi guys,

Man you have inspired me so much that I went out and ordered the TMLE Monday night. I am new to smoking and it is something that I have wanted to try for a couple of years now. Figured now is the best time with the deal I saw on the TMLE. looking forward to sharing the journey with you guys, whenever it gets here

Welcome to the TMLE family, folks!

Smokinn, I'm curious about the grill felt. I have a rope gasket, but that gets to be a pain after a while as the cement disintegrates from closing the lid repeatedly. Can you post some more about that?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky