Breaking in a Vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Got the BD present from the Mrs a little early but what the heck. I got one of those chicken 6-packs from Costco of wings last week. I figured 3 of them would be plenty but the Mrs said to thaw them all. "There's only 6 or 7 in those packs.". Yes, Dear...
So we wound up with 69 thawed drummies and middles.
I fired up the Vortex with a chimney of briquets.
She wanted hot wings and I wanted a Mustard sauce. No problem, plenty of wings.
First batch...
Second verse, same as the first. Just added a handful of briquets..

There were a few slices of Zuchinni left over from the baking so I tossed them on. Fail.
The Vortex is too hot for that! Lesson Learned.
Everything I heard about how great wings are using a Vortex is true! Best I ever made!
Wings for dinner last night, wings tonight and for lunch tomorrow, but it's all good!
Can't wait to try BC Chicken!
:grilling_smilie:

That looks really good. I haven't heard of the vortex. Looks great for wings.

Thanks a lot. Another thing to add to the list of things I don't need. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great lookin wings.   I love my vortex.

Doing some pork chops right now with mine.

Just think of all those poor chickens runnin around without their wings now...
th_crybaby2.gif

Better make it even and put some more parts on there! Point!

That looks really good. I haven't heard of the vortex. Looks great for wings.

Thanks a lot. Another thing to add to the list of things I don't need. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, scarps, this site should come with a disclaimer. I joined to learn about smoking meats. I now have two smokers and a mailbox setup, grinder, stuffer, slicer, extra full size freezer, a $300 vac-sealer and now a Vortex.....

:head-wall:

Yeah, scarps, this site should come with a disclaimer. I joined to learn about smoking meats. I now have two smokers and a mailbox setup, grinder, stuffer, slicer, extra full size freezer, a $300 vac-sealer and now a Vortex.....

Was looking at new vacuum sealers today. I have an old food saver that works. Wondering the difference. Curious about the wet vacuum seal setting if they are worth having or not. What did you end up getting and do you like it.

Also checked out the vortex. Looks like a new grate might need to be in order too.

Ordered some umai bags to dry age a whole ribeye. I'm going to need the vortex to sear those. Haha.

Was looking at new vacuum sealers today. I have an old food saver that works. Wondering the difference. Curious about the wet vacuum seal setting if they are worth having or not. What did you end up getting and do you like it.

Also checked out the vortex. Looks like a new grate might need to be in order too.

Ordered some umai bags to dry age a whole ribeye. I'm going to need the vortex to sear those. Haha.

I went with a Vacmaster Pro350. I went through 2 FoodSavers in 3 years. They're alright but we do a lot of vac-seal and after a while they just don't make a good seal. They don't like the FoodSavers bags, though. I tried to use up the ones I had and had problems, but the roll that came with it sealed flawlessly. We ordered 2 rolls from Vacmaster today. The Mrs actually found this one on Amazon for $264.
I don't do any wet-sealing so I don't know about that....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky