Brand new to the smoking fun

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babyham420

Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Washington, PA
Hello everyone.  My name is Jason and I am from a small town in western PA.  I recently received a smoker as a gift.  I have the Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker.  I have not tried smoking anything yet.  I am thinking of trying to smoke a whole chicken and some sausage links this weekend.  I am extremely nervous, lol. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

I signed up for the course.  I am smoking the birds tomorrow. I will take pics and post them when i get completed

Welcome. The best way to learn is start smoking. Chicken and pork butt are cheap so you won't feel as bad if they don't turn out too good.

2 things you must know that is universal in the smoking world:
1- know you smoker temp
2- know the meat temp, ribs being the exception since the meat parts aren't big enough to keep a thermometer of in. Though you can periodically check the temp for ribs with an instant read thermometer.

Most smokers would say a quality dual probe thermometer is the most important tool to own. One probe to monitor the smoker temp and the other to monitor the meat temp. .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky