Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Well brother,it's now 2;25 pm internal temp in largest piece is 175.. going to remove butts and double foil wrap em...do you think spraying them with apple juice before wrapping ? Also putting in oven @ 225 lets me leave the smoker open for the other butts. going to be 6 in all.
Sounds like a plan to me!!!

I usually add some juice to a pan when I foil, but if you're double foiling without a pan, a good Apple Juice Spray would be great !!

You're doing Great !!

Bear

How about a sauce recipe too, I can spot homemade bottles from a mile away. Thanks for the drippings suggestion too, got to try that. Great post.

Thanks for the help tried to send pics. on face book to smokingmeatforums.com don't know where they landed
Any time, Don!

Always glad to help.

Bear
How about a sauce recipe too, I can spot homemade bottles from a mile away. Thanks for the drippings suggestion too, got to try that. Great post.
Thank You Sir!!

LOL----Actually I don't usually make sauce. There were too kinds on this one. Mrs Bear made one that's on the sweet side, because Bear Jr made the other one, and it's too hot for her. I like to use about 50% hers & 50% of his, and it's just right for me.

Works out Great that way!!

Bear

thanks bear sounds good I'm going to give it a try did you use the water pan in your mes
My water pan is always in place, but it's just covered with foil, and empty. I haven't put any liquid in it for over 5 years. Water's not needed in a well insulated electric smoker like the MES, and there's plenty of humidity in there without adding any more. IMHO

Bear

You can accomplish the same thing by waiting until the foil stage, like I did in this Smoke.

That way you will get that Great Meat Juice mixing with your Apple Juice foiling mix, yet you won't be adding any problem causing Humidity to the smoker. In the past, I tried water, Apple Juice, Beer, and other things in the water pan, and I got Zero benefit from it, but it affects the heating of the meat, and interferes with the smoke.

Bear

Years ago when I was smoking on my ECB I tried all sorts of combinations of juices, water, beer etc. All that does is create steam, which in my opinion does nothing for flavor. I eventually quit using the water pan all together.

Gary

Ok, so I may be "poking the bear," ( pun intended ) here but if you cook all the way to 200+ and safe cook temp for pork is 160. Plus you will be over 160 for at least an hour, do we really need to worry about pushing bacteria into the meat with injections and temp probs?

Ok, so I may be "poking the bear," ( pun intended ) here but if you cook all the way to 200+ and safe cook temp for pork is 160. Plus you will be over 160 for at least an hour, do we really need to worry about pushing bacteria into the meat with injections and temp probs?
Yes, The high heat will kill the bacteria, but no matter how hot it gets later, it won't kill the toxins that the Bacteria gave birth to earlier.

I'm sure others can explain it better, but that's my way to say it simply.

Good question though.

BTW: It's legal to Poke the Bear, as long as you do it nicely like you did.
Beer.gif

Bear

Ever since you directed me to this thread I wondered what it is that injecting the meat does other then introducing liquid to the meat. I use a combo of Apple juice, vinegar, worcestershire sauce , and I thing sugar and salt. Is there really any benefits or is there a way of introducing those flavored without having to inject?

Ever since you directed me to this thread I wondered what it is that injecting the meat does other then introducing liquid to the meat. I use a combo of Apple juice, vinegar, worcestershire sauce , and I thing sugar and salt. Is there really any benefits or is there a way of introducing those flavored without having to inject?
I'm sure there is to those who inject. I just don't do it because I often run temps too low to get it through the Danger zone in 4 hours, plus I like the meat flavor without a lot of other things.

That's why I wait until 3 hours in before I insert my Temp probe.

Bear

Bear, I figured as much. Tomorrow morning I'm smoking 25 pounds of butt and will do it without anything in the water pan.
That's Great !!

Don't let me miss your Butt Smoking Thread !!

Bear

Hey Bear, well i'm going to attempt an 8lb Pork Butt on memorial day using your method!! i will let you all know how it turns out!! And i will be foiling it!! lol!!

Hey Bear, well i'm going to attempt an 8lb Pork Butt on memorial day using your method!! i will let you all know how it turns out!! And i will be foiling it!! lol!!
That's Great, Bigace!!!

Be sure to give me a Heads up when you post it---I really hate to miss Great Smokes!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky