Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Got this marked , Bear. been meaning to try some soon , but $$. That 'Dakota' is draining me...wish it would get smashed by a tree limb...

Things ARE looking up though , and we're seeing light...
biggrin.gif

Really good Tutorial, thanks.
Thanks Stan!!!

Go for it---You'll love it !!

Bear
Dang Bear you must have bought them out and you sure can stackem high...Great job Buddy ...
Thanks Roller!!

They had a mess of 9 pounders all over the place!!

I just couldn't believe the price!!

Bear

Thanks Jax!!!

I never do the wet brine cure method, but nothing wrong with it. I feel I get better flavor this way with TQ. Could be just me.

All of my tips are above in the original post. I'll answer any questions though---In PM or here.

Bear
Finally did it, although I used the wet brine/cure method for my maiden voyage.  One 7 lbs loin, cut into 3 pieces, soaking in 38 degree brine for 10 days should do it, huh?

A couple of questions....

One question I do have is that you said you made smoked porkchops and CB.  Is there a difference that I didn't catch besides the size and thickness?

Another question is that I removed the fat and silver skin from my loin.  After the fact I saw that you did not, but rather you put a few shallow slices through it.  We were having a lightning storm so I had the computer shut off.  I couldn't check and couldn't remember whether you did or didn't.  Does leaving it on or removing it change the cure time?  I'm fairly descent with a fillet knife so there wasn't quite a good handful of trimmings from the whole loin.

Finally did it, although I used the wet brine/cure method for my maiden voyage.  One 7 lbs loin, cut into 3 pieces, soaking in 38 degree brine for 10 days should do it, huh?

A couple of questions....

One question I do have is that you said you made smoked porkchops and CB.  Is there a difference that I didn't catch besides the size and thickness?

Another question is that I removed the fat and silver skin from my loin.  After the fact I saw that you did not, but rather you put a few shallow slices through it.  We were having a lightning storm so I had the computer shut off.  I couldn't check and couldn't remember whether you did or didn't.  Does leaving it on or removing it change the cure time?  I'm fairly descent with a fillet knife so there wasn't quite a good handful of trimmings from the whole loin.
The only difference between the cured smoked Pork Chops & the CB is the thickness.
Most people trim the fat off. However there really isn't that much there, and I love a little fat on my meat.

Trimming that little bit of fat off wouldn't change the cure time.

Bear

Gotcha.  The fat pretty much pulls away just by grabbing it and pulling it off.  I was more so worried about the silver skin, but I never remove it when I'm grilling loin chops and they turn out good.  I guess the curing process doesn't make it tough or something I should worry about.

Gotcha.  The fat pretty much pulls away just by grabbing it and pulling it off.  I was more so worried about the silver skin, but I never remove it when I'm grilling loin chops and they turn out good.  I guess the curing process doesn't make it tough or something I should worry about.

The silver skin could get a little chewy, but it's no harder cutting it off after smoking than it is before.

I just eat it, but I'm a Bear.
biggrin.gif

Bear

Looks awesoem. Try making biscuits and gravy with that stuff. Also, have you ever done thin sliced pork loin chops?

Looks fantastic!  This is one of my next smoking projects.  Just found a local meat processing company that sells pink salt cure #1.  I recognized The Cutco steak knife from your fry test.  I used to sell them one summer when I was in college LOL.  They're great tools and are guaranteed for life and are sharpened for free for life (I only send in the serrated ones.)  Their serrated knifes are the best I've ever used.  You may have info. on their sharpening offer and can probably find it online if you haven't sent them in before but if you have any questions just holler.

-Kurt

Looks fantastic!  This is one of my next smoking projects.  Just found a local meat processing company that sells pink salt cure #1.  I recognized The Cutco steak knife from your fry test.  I used to sell them one summer when I was in college LOL.  They're great tools and are guaranteed for life and are sharpened for free for life (I only send in the serrated ones.)  Their serrated knifes are the best I've ever used.  You may have info. on their sharpening offer and can probably find it online if you haven't sent them in before but if you have any questions just holler.

-Kurt
Thanks Dr K !!!

LOL---We actually bought that knife set about 30 years ago, from a kid working his way through college. (Neighbor's Nephew)

Had a scissors that could cut heavy rope & could cut a penny in half.

Dang things haven't needed sharpening yet?!?!   Not Kidding!!

Bear

Just doing some late night cant sleep cure reading... I knew I should have just read yours first.. lol. Great thread ...easy instructions.. good looking spread ;)
Im ready for some CB now.
Thanks
MIKE

Just doing some late night cant sleep cure reading... I knew I should have just read yours first.. lol. Great thread ...easy instructions.. good looking spread ;)
Im ready for some CB now.
Thanks
MIKE
Thanks Mike!!!  Glad you like it !!

I try to make my Step by Steps so easy, even I can follow them!!
biggrin.gif

Bear

I just made Bears CB and chops.

They are awesome.

Thanks Bear for all your step by steps.

They all turn out great.
Thanks Farmer!!

I love it when I can help somebody make Great stuff !!

You did Great---Looks Perfect !!

Bear

Great recipe, great presentation, great ideas ... thank you so much for posting these instructions.

Simple, possible silly, but genuine question:

As I read the recipe/directions, the meat has been first cured and then smoked/cooked to a "done" degree ... and yet you seem to talk about frying/cooking it again when you're getting ready to eat it.  IS it "safe" to eat without the additional/final/pre-gobble cooking, or do you recommend even this final cook?

Thanks, again!

Milt

Great recipe, great presentation, great ideas ... thank you so much for posting these instructions.

Simple, possible silly, but genuine question:

As I read the recipe/directions, the meat has been first cured and then smoked/cooked to a "done" degree ... and yet you seem to talk about frying/cooking it again when you're getting ready to eat it.  IS it "safe" to eat without the additional/final/pre-gobble cooking, or do you recommend even this final cook?

Thanks, again!

Milt
Not a silly question, but an easy answer.

The Internal temp has to get to 145* sometime before you eat it.

If you don't take the internal temp to 145* when you smoke it, then you have to be careful you don't burn it in the Pan taking it to 145* before you eat it.

However if you take the IT to 145* (USDA safe to eat temp) while you smoke it (Like I do), then you could either eat it cold or heat it up a little in a Pan, Nukulator, or whatever.

It only has to get to 145* IT one time.  The only reason I put it in the pan before eating it is because I like to eat it warmed up a little bit instead of cold, but you don't have to if you took it to 145* when you smoked it.

Bear

Last edited:
Thank you again, sir ... please do know how much I - and others like me - appreciate the time you have already taken to post such good, clear, detailed instructions as well as the time you continue to take - like now - answering our learning-level questions.

Continued Best Wishes,

Milt

Thank you again, sir ... please do know how much I - and others like me - appreciate the time you have already taken to post such good, clear, detailed instructions as well as the time you continue to take - like now - answering our learning-level questions.

Continued Best Wishes,

Milt
Thank You for those kind words, Milt.

It's guys like you & many others that make it all worth it.

I'm glad I'm able to help a lot of Great People like you------Always makes my Day!!

Bear

As the others say...Thanks.....only been doing this for a short time so I have been acting like a sponge with all the info you "ol' timers "put out......did my first 20 lbs of NON-Salt pork Bacon (First batch was so salty I couldn't even put it in my mouth (dry rub))....Did a Dry rub for CB and again...REALLY salty even after smoking it 4 30 minute time in clean water.....so I tried PoP's brine and 20 lbs of belly later had GREAT BACON....doing a pork loin in the brine now to see how that comes out....

Bottom Line......I want to do the dry cure again but I am scared to try....have both the Morton's cure and IC#1.........

I think I will copy down your method and try again.....

Bear, did you use your water pan when you smoked these?
I haven't put water in my MES water pan in over 4 years.

Bear

As the others say...Thanks.....only been doing this for a short time so I have been acting like a sponge with all the info you "ol' timers "put out......did my first 20 lbs of NON-Salt pork Bacon (First batch was so salty I couldn't even put it in my mouth (dry rub))....Did a Dry rub for CB and again...REALLY salty even after smoking it 4 30 minute time in clean water.....so I tried PoP's brine and 20 lbs of belly later had GREAT BACON....doing a pork loin in the brine now to see how that comes out....

Bottom Line......I want to do the dry cure again but I am scared to try....have both the Morton's cure and IC#1.........

I think I will copy down your method and try again.....
The only time I ever had to soak anything I cured to get rid of salt flavor was the one time I used Hi Mountain cure & seasoning on BBB. That was when I was a Newbie.

None of my Tender Quick cured meats have ever been salty.

That's not from just me---That's Mrs Bear, Bear Jr & his wife, and about 2 dozen friends & relatives.

If you use my method follow it closely, including the Brown sugar.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky