Bologna Hot Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
I made up some bologna today cause I was sick of eating ham everyday for lunch. Did a 5 pound batch of a recipe Len Poli has on his site...
After stuffing most of it into some 90 or 100mm casings I saved a little to see what it would taste like as a dog....
thumb.gif

Stuffed into some plastic 26 mm casings, tied them off, poached them in some 175° water then gave them a cold bath. stripped them and grilled them.
These puppies are good. now I wish I did more dogs and less bologna...
heres a couple pic's and will get the recipe up when I post the bologna post.

Out for the cold bath.

398183108.jpg

Stripped of the casing.
398183113.jpg

On the grill for a few minutes.
398183117.jpg

All dressed up and only one place to go.
398183118.jpg

I just hope when I slice up the bologna tomorrow it tastes half as good as these.
Thanks for checking out my dogs.

/ message sig

Dan, those are beauties!  Nice job.

Poli has some interesting stuff on his site.

Your execution and adaptation look great!

Good luck and good smoking.

looks great dan.......how did you puree the meat......

Joe

Hey Joe, I did a double grind with these, I was going to do three but ran short on time. Gound through a 3/16 plate, mixed in the cure and seasoning, chilled in the freezer and ground again.

Thanks, they sure look good.  Got the receipe and am going to try them.  Still a newbie at all this, but comin along.  Told the husband to look out, cause I'm smoking anything that gets in my way.
drool.gif

Fine looking dogs. There is no difference in most cases between bologna and hogdogs besides the casing size and the recipe you use. Once you find the recipe you like you can adjust it to make any flavored dog you like.

Good Job Dan!

Nice dogs Dan

I have to disagree with DeeJay

Yes there is a big difference between bologna and dogs. Bologna can be made in many ways without emuslifying the meat.

I agree that bologna CAN be made with larger particles the hotdogs and by USDA standards  hotdogs MUST be ground into fine particles. The point I was trying to make is the recipes can be used to make one or the other. If you have a good recipe you like for hotdogs you can also use it for bologna and vice versa. Just cook the bolgna long because of it's size.

I  didn't use either Fred, I didn't have liver and bacon isn't a substitute for liver in my opinion,  so i left it out too.

That recipe looks awesome and something I would love to try.  Is there a place that sells the phosphate and sodium erythorbate as well as cure #1? Or is that something you have to get online?  I've found pink salt from my local butcher but haven't ever heard of using those other ingredients.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky