Birthday Brisket for My Wife (First Brisket) W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin218r

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Minnesota
So it was my wife's birthday yesterday. I had asked her last week what she would like for me to make for her dinner.

We have some brisket in the freezer from a steer, so she suggested I give it a try.

Sunday night I trimmed it up, put some Lowry's pineapple teriyaki marinade over the top and rubbed with spog.

Into the fridge for an overnight soak.

Monday morning it went on the RecTec around 8:30am at 225º with some extra Bangn Brisket Rub.

I had to leave for work, so she was texting me temps and pics so I could advise on what to do.

10:18am IT @ 136

11am IT @ 145 Turned down heat to 200

11:45 IT @ 147 Set heat back up to 220

1:12pm IT @ 160

1:45pm IT @ 165 Wrapped in foil

2:55pm IT @ 198 Pulled off smoker, wrapped in towel, placed in cooler.

This ended up resting for about 3hrs.

For my first brisket... I give it a 6/10.

It was a little dry with a little tug.

Not sure if I should have wrapped it sooner? Pulled it @ 195? Was it the marinade? The cut really did not have a fat cap?

The flavor was perfect! Wished it was more tender.

Overall, the dinner was a success and the family was happy which is all that matters.

Thanks for the look!

Served with slice baked taters with a Gorgonzola sauce and green beans.

Looks great! The best way to determine the brisket is done if with the probe test not cooking to a certain IT. The probe should slide into the meat with minimal resistance in multiple spots. I have only cooked whole packer briskets and generally leave at least a 1/4 inch of fat on it if not more. From the looks of your first a little practice and you'll be fine!

The probe test is the best way to know, but I don't blame you for going by temp on your first go round since most of us did the same thing. In my experience, the meat is most tender when finished between 200-205 with a rest afterwards, so maybe take it a little longer next time. As for the dryness, that might have been the freezer....how long was it in there? Was the brisket cryovac sealed in the freezer? If not, that may have contributed to the drying out.

Great looking brisket! POINTS!!!

As already mentioned probing a brisket is the best way to determine the doneness of a brisket. I will start probing when the IT reaches 185°. I use a toothpick or bamboo skewer. You need to probe several spots. If it goes in like your sticking it into warm butter then you are done. I've had them done anywhere from 185°-205°. I used to run the pit temp low 225-250, but now i run it around 300. I like to let the meat shine so I don't sauce brisket, and I only use SPOG as a seasoning. The only time I stray from that is when I make burnt ends from the point.

Looks great! The best way to determine the brisket is done if with the probe test not cooking to a certain IT. The probe should slide into the meat with minimal resistance in multiple spots. I have only cooked whole packer briskets and generally leave at least a 1/4 inch of fat on it if not more. From the looks of your first a little practice and you'll be fine!

You definitely have a nice smoke ring.  Maybe just needed a few more degrees, say 203'sh.

The probe test is the best way to know, but I don't blame you for going by temp on your first go round since most of us did the same thing. In my experience, the meat is most tender when finished between 200-205 with a rest afterwards, so maybe take it a little longer next time. As for the dryness, that might have been the freezer....how long was it in there? Was the brisket cryovac sealed in the freezer? If not, that may have contributed to the drying out.
Thanks Guys! I would have liked to probed it, but unfortunately I was doing this smoke over the phone.

It has been in the freezer for a while now which could be some of the issue.

I am really questioning the cut. I wish I would have taken some pics for you guys.

Thanks for all the input that will be used on the next one!!

Great looking brisket! POINTS!!!

As already mentioned probing a brisket is the best way to determine the doneness of a brisket. I will start probing when the IT reaches 185°. I use a toothpick or bamboo skewer. You need to probe several spots. If it goes in like your sticking it into warm butter then you are done. I've had them done anywhere from 185°-205°. I used to run the pit temp low 225-250, but now i run it around 300. I like to let the meat shine so I don't sauce brisket, and I only use SPOG as a seasoning. The only time I stray from that is when I make burnt ends from the point.
Thanks for all the info and the points Case!!

I really appreciate it!
icon14.gif

I agree with the other posts about probe checking. If you look at some of your slice pics you can see that there is still some connective tissue in the grain of the meat that had not melted yet. Once that melts it will get moist and tender.

You can see in this pic that each little grain of the meat had started to separate from the others. This piece was probably 20-30 minutes from being perfect. 

Reactions: gary s
Now that is some nice looking Brisket  
points1.png

Gary

Now that is some nice looking Brisket  
points1.png

Gary
Nice Brisky ! ! ! And a Smokering too!!!

Rec-Tec seems a good smoker , keep it coming .. For a first , you did very well.
points.gif

Have fun and . . .
Gary and Old School, Thank you very much for the kind words and points!!

Means a lot. Also, thank you guys for all your help and advice!

Did you add some apple juice to the foil packet?  I usually do but I'm not sure it makes any difference.
I did not. I would have added some foiling juice of some kind, but I wanted to keep it simple for my wife who was tending the pit at the time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky