Billbo's world famous dry rub & BBQ sauce recipe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
By far my favorite Rub and the sauce is fantastic.

First time I made the sauce people couldn't get enough of it.

The second time however I was so pressed for time I wasn't paying attention to closely as i was reading and tossing in ingredients.

Instead of 1/4 cup of Cayenne Pepper Sauce... In went a 1/4 cup of Cayenne Pepper. It should have dawned on me as I was tossing it in but I didn't even realize what happened until It was all done and my mouth was on fire after tasting it.

Finally figured it out when I saw my brand new unopened bottle of Franks Red Hot still sitting there on the counter. =(

Sounds like some good stuff will give them a try.
nana2.gif

I have a batch going right now , that has been slowly simmering for 2 hrs and I'll I have to sat is " Wow this is making me hungry!" I think the guy above must have burned his batch, cause mine smells heavenly!
The true test is always a day or 2 later when all the flavors have a chance to merge. Kinda like chili, it always tastes better the next day.

Is this an all purpose rub or is it best on a particular type of meat?  Got it copied, now just want to be sure what to do with it.
yahoo.gif
 Yep I am new. Thanks heaps.

thanks for the rub recipe 
241.png
 it was really good,but had to make a few changes this time . I replaced the reg. paprika with smoked Spanish paprika,and just a pinch of red pepper flakes. that hit the spot for me
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

got all the stuff for the sauce will be doing that real soon.

I made this rub (with a little tweaking for taste) and sauce last night for my chicken wings and quarters today. Used the rub on both the wings and quarters, and the sauce on the chicken. Great stuff, made for some great grub!

New member here.  I've smoked a few shoulders using this website and I've now stepped up to making my own sauce.

I have this sauce on the stove at this moment.  

Do I need to leave the sauce covered or uncovered during the 4 or so hours cooking time?  I didn't find any mention of that here.

Newbie here (to forum and smoking), i made this ruba dn sauce and still havent sampled the rib on brisket but the sauce is great! i added more broen sugar but that is it, will post some qview when i get the hang of things. Just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of info u guys provide for us newbies here. Much appreciated.

Newbie here (to forum and smoking), i made this rub and sauce and still havent sampled the rib on brisket but the sauce is great! i added more brown sugar but that is it, will post some qview when i get the hang of things. Just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of info u guys provide for us newbies here. Much appreciated.

I made this sauce last night when I got home from work. It came out great! Prep time was about 15 minutes (mincing all the fresh ingredients, get all of the other items out of the pantry, etc.). Take the time to mince the pepper and onion fairly small and you won't have to worry about the chunkiness some of the others mentioned in above posts. I am going to hit one of my finished containers with a stick blender to smooth it out and see if it winds up tasting any different then the ones that I leave as is. Keep an eye on the garlic, don't let it go much past a minute or it will start to brown too much and get bitter. That may be the reason for the problem danelmore had (there is not too much else in this recipe that would cause a bad taste-maybe the lemon juice if it was rancid, other then that nothing else really has a spoilage issue). I had the two cans of tomato sauce open and ready to go so I could get them in there as soon as the garlic was done to stop the cooking process in the pan. And make sure you a big enough pan. I used a large non-stick dutch oven and it barely fit in there. I went with that because of the larger surface area, which would lead to more evaporation and better thickening of the sauce. Jblamb asked about covered or uncovered- I would have to say uncovered in order to get the moisture out of there so the sauce will reduce and thicken and to condense all of the flavors. I let mine sit on the stove for four hours, taking about two hours to bring it to a low simmer. The kitchen smelled great! Every time I went in there to stir it the aroma just hit you right in the nose! It wound up reducing down by about 1/3. The next time I try this I want to make it earlier in the day so I can let it reduce down to about 1/2 and thicken it even more. Right now it is still a little thin, but not that bad. Definitely thicker then when it started out. Hopefully when I get home tonight it will thicken up a bit from being in the fridge. The finished yield was just about 2 1/2 quarts of sauce. As for the taste...WOW! It is just the right amount of sweetness with some bite on the back end. I used one jalapeno in it and it is perfect. My wife, who doesn't like hot & spicy, thought it was very tasty. Just enough she said. I am going to use this as a side sauce served with a butt I am making this weekend. I will also use it on a rack of ribs I am going to throw in the smoker while the butt is cooking because honestly I can't wait to see how this glazes up and finishes on a rack of ribs. I think it is going to be excellent. I give it a big thumbs up, would absolutely make again!

Last edited:
This BBQ sauce is INCREDIBLE. I just made a batch of it, and just wow. Here's a tip. I started on the stovetop for around an hour or so, then moved it to the slow cooker (crock pot) for the rest of the time. The sauce reduced nicely. it was nappe as they say in french. Able to coat the back of a spoon, run your finger across it, and you should see two parallel lines with little to no bleeding of the sauce.

Flavor, heat, everything about this sauce is to die for. I'll be trying to rub here in about 13 hours. I'm about to put my boston butt in the smoker (1st time), add some wood, and let her do her thing for the next 10-12 hours!

Again, thanks so much Bilbo. I'm dying to grill some chicken right now just to eat this sauce!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky