Best Lump Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Head for the iowa border, Lineville to be exact

http://sevenoaksinc.com/index.html

I really like this lump, its two bucks a bag cheaper locally than the Wicked Good Weekend Warrior blend and I can't tell any difference. Since its an iowa product that makes it even more appealing.

They got a review on nakedwizard, wish they still made the lump and chunk together like they did in the old days.

Save your money and go on a rideabout. Find some good wood nobody wants,fire it up and when it gets to coals,smother it,no air allowed.
It's cheaper and you don't get a bag of dust you can't use anyhow.
Join the move to natural cooking. Cut the middleman OUT!!!!!

thanks for this link,
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Big fan of R.O. lately.

i've been getting RO lump 17.6 lb. bags @ Restaurant Depot lately for $8.00. Great price, nice bags with large chunks of lump.

long 10-11 hour burns from one ring and a chimney, in weather in the mid 30's.

I'm jumping on the lump bandwagon - I've found it's hotter and cleaner than briquettes I've tried. While briquettes are a lot easier, it's annoying as the ****ens to have little pieces of lump drop through a grate that's made for briquettes. I've read that galvanized material is to be avoided when smoking but am wondering if a small piece of square wire mesh could be safely used to cover the charcoal grate?

Im not sure if it would work on your smoker, but on a WSM folks buy a second charcoal great, and set it on top of the other grate so it lines up in a criss cross pattern to keep pieces from falling through.

I really like how there is almost no ash left after smoking when using lump vs briquettes.

I have been using Chef's Choice for a couple of months and I like the taste of steaks cooked with it.  If anyone is familiar with the Rendevous restaurant in Memphis which is a famous BBQ joint known for their ribs they also use the Chef's Choice brand of charcoal.  Although what I am using is not the lump charcoal I like it.

unfortunately royal oak bought out most of the independent charcoal kilns in Missouri. I say unfortunately because the one on highway 72 in Reynolds county would let locals come buy & fill their own containers ( bags/barrels/etc. ) for free!! charter oak put an end to that right quick.

I just burned through the last of my Cowboy lump and how I never noticed it before finding this site is beyond me but the last 3 bags I had all clearly had decking boards in them. In fact it looked like the majority of the coal was scrap lumber. The Royal Oak I started buying instead actually looks like it came from actual wood chunks so I'll be buying that from now on unless I find a better product locally.

I be bought cowboy coal 2x, and both times there was a lot of lumber. I won't use that anymore. BGE brand is awesome (apparently the premium/large prices from RO) but way too expensive. I've been using royal oak, but my local SAMs club had Vision coal at $9 for 20lb bags, so I grabbed a few. This stuff is awesome. Huge pieces, slow, hot burning. You can tell it is quality hardwood.

does anyone on here order via the internet? If so what brand do you get delivered and from what website? My only decent option right now is royal oak from home depot locally in bensalem PA, looking to try something different but all the "good" ones being recommended I would have to pay a pretty penny on the interweb and on amazon, etc it's too pricey

The factors to consider "good quality" are natural, low smoke, high calorific value, long burning time, low ash... I think so

I found high quality charcoal in Vietnam on my trip on November. The company is Vinacharcoal (http://charcoal.vn/).

I am buying mangrove charcoal. This is excellent quality. My customers are really delighted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky