Beer can chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scarps23

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Iowa
Brined 2 5 pound birds over Friday night. Mainly salt, sugar and mix of random seasonings thrown together.

Drained out of brine Saturday night. Added mortons seasoned salt lightly and then added beer can chicken seasoning. Covered in fridge overnight.

Cooking target between 275-300. 289 right now. Love this weber smoker. Beer of choice is the high priced Busch light. Haha.

9fa428ae29698ddb2916331dac59e09e.jpg

68d2811e135e7bbbe70b4b7509596d4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

da0681104f8f0ef1863c32668c28f500.jpg

Really good chicken. Best I've ever made. Juicy. I believe more from the brine then anything to do with the beer can. Going to try spatchcock next time. Some of the skin wasn't that crispy. About half and half. Sprayed with crisco butter after first hour on grill. Took about 2 1/2 - 3 hours cooking at around 300.

Looks great man! Nice carve on the breast. Points!! Yeah I prefer to spatch and drink the beer myself. Did you run water in the pan? With my wsm, starting with a full chimney and running a dry pan would give me 325-350 and crispy bite thru skin.

Reactions: kyjack
Ran pan dry. Should have cooked a little higher temp for skin. Happy with the chicken. Luckily I had some other beer to drink while it smoked. Ha.

Need some recipes for leftover chicken. Diced chicken up and might freeze half of it. I have a hard time cooking just enough to eat. Always having leftovers isn't bad with a vacuum sealer.

Reactions: kyjack
I usually smoke my chickens with sausage like kielbasa. (The sausage casings do well at chicken skin temps.) then I pick the bones and boil it down for stock and make gumbo with the leftover chicken and sausage.

Reactions: kyjack and scarps23
Thanks for the responses. Added some to a stir fry. Vacuum sealed some for the gumbo idea in the future. Fall will be here before you know it and gumbo sounds great. Thanks for the idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky