Beef Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CoolbreezeBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Bought a 5.5 lb Choice Beef Brisket Flat from local Butcher. Gonna smoke it on Weber Kettle for Fathers Day. Looking for advice on everything. Method, time/temp, foil wrap, or not, hold in cooler, and for how long or, not to bother? I’d like to serve it sliced.
1CFB859C-F35D-4086-B902-C8C99E5B5F53.jpeg
Thanks for any advice.

Brisket is not an easy cook, and a flat cut can be finicky . No disrespect intended..... but there is a BIG difference between good barbecue and great barbecue. You will be very lucky if you make good barbecue on the first couple of cooks. It may take years before you make great barbecue. So before you serve barbecue to a house full of guests or the preachers wife...practice, practice, practice.

I'll toss out some ideas, I'm sure others will too. Mark the grain direction so you know how to slice against it. This is very important. Next, I would inject it with some jazzy beefy broth. Seasoning is up to you, but as a minimum use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I don't use any sweet rubs, but they can help with a darker bark. I would use an indirect set-up in your kettle, and smoke it with moderate flavor wood to an internal of 165°, unless the color gets darker before then. I wrap with the inside face down in the foil, and add a couple pats of butter, some fresh beefy jus or other liquid. This pouch goes back on the pit or the oven until it's tender. This might take 3 hours more. When it 'feels tender' go another 30 minutes and vent the foil pouch until the internal temp falls 20°. Close the foil and rest in a insulated cooler for a couple of hours. When serving, save the foil juices to baste the slices. Only slice what you serve, for seconds slice some more. Oh, the best part... act like you know what you are doing.... showing off is really fun when serving something like brisket.

Reactions: Blues1
Its a crutch to help when you don't have enuf fat on the meat to keep it from drying out, can be to salty . I plan on finding a flat and recreating what I did the other day, 5-6 hours lownslow then into a vac bag, then into the SV for 5-6 hours at 204, then into the fridge till the next day. sliced and reheated a few pieces at a time, it was the best brisket I have ever made imo. I vac the rest in small portions that will be easy to reheat in the SV bath or microwave in a pinch

Its a crutch to help when you don't have enuf fat on the meat to keep it from drying out, can be to salty . I plan on finding a flat and recreating what I did the other day, 5-6 hours lownslow then into a vac bag, then into the SV for 5-6 hours at 204, then into the fridge till the next day. sliced and reheated a few pieces at a time, it was the best brisket I have ever made imo. I vac the rest in small portions that will be easy to reheat in the SV bath or microwave in a pinch
The other side is all fat cap

I would cut the fat cap down to 1/4-3/8" , that will leave plenty to keep from drying out I would guess , good luck, most cooks turn out well a few great, the meat always plays a role we cant always predict no matter how much we spend on it

Ended up being mandated to work 12 hours on Fathers Day so Brisket Flat cook will happen another time. Hope everyone else is having a Happy Fathers Day.

Thank you for info and advice. What is a jazzy beef broth?

Sorry about not replying, I got a notification when you posted earlier today.

My ultimate jazzy beef broth would my au jus:
thirdeye's Au Jus for Beef
1 14 oz can Beef Consume
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup (dry mix)
1-1/2 of the soup can cold water
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 splashes of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 teaspoon Herb-OX beef bullion
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak rub
1 teaspoon Smokin’ Guns Rub**
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring ingredients to a low simmer in a saucepan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to avoid having the liquid come to a boil. Additional water can be added if flavors are too strong, or if liquid gets too thick. AuJus is a thin table sauce, NOT a gravy. Pour through strainer to remove the onions and coarse pieces from the Montreal Steak rub. Serve warm

A quicker substitute would be using canned beef broth, or beef bullion, or beef stock base (I buy Minors Brand which is a paste. Mix about 1/2 cup, add some Worchestershire, some black pepper, maybe cayenne, garlic or onion powder or both, and anyting else you like.

Reactions: CoolbreezeBBQ
Injected, rubbed, and going on in about half hour when Weber is ready. Wish me luck.
F71E7F81-A545-4D89-AC7A-37D43AB70FE2.jpeg
C336F79F-5061-41E9-A785-5EC3C09D680D.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky