BBQ Champ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Don't think Smokey was asking a question its what's on the website "Who is John Doe" as a link for more info
icon14.gif
Oops, my bad!

I used to cook chips on my grannies open fire (a cast iron job) but it wasn't bbq but cooked over wood and coals just the same[emoji]128521[/emoji]
I would keep my mouth shut if I was you Brian or you'll end up being a judge on BBQ Champ next year with talk like that...
biggrin.gif

Easy money nowt to judge or at least you don't need to be any sort of expert to judge what we have seen up until now!!

I had offered Ressy to do head cheese but I was told there wasn't enough main product in him!
yahoo.gif

Don't think Smokey was asking a question its what's on the website "Who is John Doe" as a link for more info
icon14.gif
Spot on Kiska, maybe I should have reworded it. I was saying the website is not selling itself with only a menu and a bit of text about John Doe.  It is certainly not enticing me to eat there  A few  photo's  and a bit about the food and the chefs would have been a good start etc

Well just watched Great British Bake Off and the yeast free soda breads inspired me to have a go tonight. Had a smile on my face all the way through. Did you see the Prison Warden with the lion,. very good!

Oh BBQ Champ? predictable team selection bit of a give away.

Son was taking part in that Ninja Warrior show down in Manchester on Thursday, so Val organised for everyone to go to Red's True Barbecue after filming. The overall impression was tasty, the surroundings are very "rustic" and you could wander over to the kitchen for a closer look, service wasn't brilliant but it was late (didn't get there till 8:45 PM) and all said they would go back. I had the doggie bag samples of pulled pork, ribs and beans the next morning, which was nice !

Watched again and still just hate the production, even the judges chat seems rehearsed and staged at times.

The team event was, in my opinion, definitely staged. Both contestants who happen to be on BBQ teams get paired. The producers must know the background of each contestant, to pair those two just stinks of fixing the show to make "good" TV.

If series two gets commissioned (which I doubt) they have a lot to do to improve the format.

Last edited:
I watched it this afternoon. Emma let it slip, they know what they are cooking, She said "I had sleepless nights over those Poussin" !

Now if that's not planned then nothing is.

Lalalala - don't spoil the excitement! I didn't get to see it on Friday and am going to watch it tonight. My breath is well and truly bated 
biggrin.gif

We're now 4 episodes in to BBQ Champ and whilst it is everything I detest about TV Cooking Competition shows , I can't help myself and I feel compelled to catch up each week on itv player. My biggest gripe , like many others, would probably be with the format and particularly the judges and judging system. I think a lot could be learned by visiting Grillstock and seeing the system there. When I first saw their judging system , I thought it was dubious but over the years I have grown to love the way that it is entertaining to the spectators and even allows them an opportunity to taste some of the turn in dishes as they are judged. Ray Lampe [AKA Dr. BBQ], is an excellent host and master of ceremonies. His charismatic personality and knowledge of BBQ would have been so much more entertaining than Richman and Blatchford. My other concern though would be the way that contestants in the show have been judged in the BBQ forums by fellow cooks. It is easy , from the comfort of ones own armchair, to shout about somebody making what we all know are elementary mistakes but the pressure of being in front of the camera for the first time is high. I have met and know several of the competitors and can honestly say they are all really nice people who love BBQ deeply. This does not necessarily come out on the show due to editing and scripting. There may or may not be pre determined winners but if that is so, please remember that it is the TV production company who will have decided who that may be and not the contestants themselves. I guess what I'm  trying to say is '' Hey guys. let's not be hurtful to our fellow barbecuers. We all gain more by being nice to each other and less judgemental''. Those who think that they are better cooks than those on the show can easily enter one of the many BBQ competitions around the UK and Europe and see how they fair. Those wishing to judge can take the KCBS judging class [available at Walthamstow Grillstock Festival]  and there after judge at competitions. It may also be an idea for people to get together to organize their own ''backyard competitions'' with their own judges to get a feeling for competitive BBQ. It is amazing how much you can forget and how many elementary mistakes you can make when under  the pressure of competition and time constraints. 

We're now 4 episodes in to BBQ Champ and whilst it is everything I detest about TV Cooking Competition shows , I can't help myself and I feel compelled to catch up each week on itv player. My biggest gripe , like many others, would probably be with the format and particularly the judges and judging system. I think a lot could be learned by visiting Grillstock and seeing the system there. When I first saw their judging system , I thought it was dubious but over the years I have grown to love the way that it is entertaining to the spectators and even allows them an opportunity to taste some of the turn in dishes as they are judged. Ray Lampe [AKA Dr. BBQ], is an excellent host and master of ceremonies. His charismatic personality and knowledge of BBQ would have been so much more entertaining than Richman and Blatchford. My other concern though would be the way that contestants in the show have been judged in the BBQ forums by fellow cooks. It is easy , from the comfort of ones own armchair, to shout about somebody making what we all know are elementary mistakes but the pressure of being in front of the camera for the first time is high. I have met and know several of the competitors and can honestly say they are all really nice people who love BBQ deeply. This does not necessarily come out on the show due to editing and scripting. There may or may not be pre determined winners but if that is so, please remember that it is the TV production company who will have decided who that may be and not the contestants themselves. I guess what I'm  trying to say is '' Hey guys. let's not be hurtful to our fellow barbecuers. We all gain more by being nice to each other and less judgemental''. Those who think that they are better cooks than those on the show can easily enter one of the many BBQ competitions around the UK and Europe and see how they fair. Those wishing to judge can take the KCBS judging class [available at Walthamstow Grillstock Festival]  and there after judge at competitions. It may also be an idea for people to get together to organize their own ''backyard competitions'' with their own judges to get a feeling for competitive BBQ. It is amazing how much you can forget and how many elementary mistakes you can make when under  the pressure of competition and time constraints. 

I tend to agree with you overall Joker Smoker.

I'm not sure if your comments regarding "being hurtful" are referring to people who've posted here, elsewhere or just a generalisation? Personally,I don't feel the majority of comments on here have been hurtful. I've read much more scathing and personal comments over on another forum and Facebook group.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky