BBQ beef tongue.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
Found a smoked beef tongue in the freezer so it will be a " Mick only" meal tomorrow.
Apparently beef tongue is called gyuan in Japanese & is very popular in yakiniku restaurants ( char grills).Lots shipped from here.Why I have trouble finding it:devil:
Mine is already cured like bacon so I am adapting.
I will either do Japanese or Loatian with jaew som sauce.
Poach ,peel then back in the freezer to firm it up then cut it on the meat slicer,so I can cook thin slices on a cast iron griddle.Cant chargrill ATM .

Off subject - but my favorite tacos are made at an authentic Mexican joint near me. I haven't enjoyed a taco as much as I do their tongue tacos! My wife's afraid to even handle it, but you may get me to grab one and smoke it for myself! 

Off subject all you like. I have cooked a few tongue dishes for this forum .I think it's great meat.
No tongue tacos this far south. There is a bit of an Asian tradition of char grilling so I am going to head down that path this time.

It should be good.

th_nopicsye3.gif

Happy smoken.

David

I will get it done today.My research tells me that beef tongue gets sold thinly sliced in Japanese supermarkets for home consumption. Apparently it only started as a meal in the 1950s, must have been when times were hard.
I love charcoal idea but can't fit another bit of kitchen gear in here ATM. I have seen those grills that look like a suitcase/ trunk being sold by the store that I buy Japanese knives & sharpening stones from. They look great.
Easter in Tokyo this year.

I am mashing up 2 recipes here because what I found was recipes for fresh tongue in an Asian kitchen style & I have a European style smoked cured tongue.

Out of interest I will put up the marinade this Loa chef used because it looks pretty special.

1/2 tsp salt,2x tsp,black pepper & white pepper,2 tsp white sugar,3 tsp fish sauce,light soy sauce, 1 tab oyster sauce ,1 minced clove of garlic,1/4 onion diced,THEN 1 cup of shredded green papaya. This is critical,it must be hard green unripe papaya its enzymes tenderise the tongue.

This is for 1 tongue ,cut into slices then mixed with marinade left in fridge over night.

More Pics    I'm on the edge of my seat

Gary

Skinned about to go into freezer so I can slice it on meat slicer.
I like the sound of that marinade so much I think I will use it minus the green papaya after I slice it.just marinate for a couple of hours then grill .I might as well go with the dipping sauce the Loa chef makes as well.

Patiently waiting! I haven't seen tongue here forever. I don't think it has anything though to do with the over seas exports. It's more how our town has evolved. Liver isn't even prevalent in our stores.

I changed this a bit. Didn't want it sliced very thin with that marinade,to salty. Cut it in regulation slices poured over marinade that I bumped with lime juice & poaching stock.
It will sit now for about 5 hours. Then on a screaming hot cast iron grill,served with rice, greens. Loatian dipping sauce.

Reactions: crazymoon
Patiently waiting! I haven't seen tongue here forever. I don't think it has anything though to do with the over seas exports. It's more how our town has evolved. Liver isn't even prevalent in our stores.
I assume butchers have to get it in by the box,maybe 20kg. So they don't bother because not enough people in their 'hood buy it.

The Loa chef was doing several kgs at a time on the TV clip I saw,his restaurant sells heaps of it.He just cuts tongues in half length ways,marinates then scraps of the marinade char grills it then slices it. It looked great
drool.gif
.Dipping sauce seems fairly standard S/E Asian ,I have all the ingredients already on hand so I will do it as per.

I know there is a lot of it sold in Japan,I figure it gets shipped straight from our processors frozen. It seems they lean towards slicing it wafer thin then char grilling with a dipping sauce.

Just touch your tongue to the dipping sauce ???      
yahoo.gif

Couldn't resist

Gary

Dipping sauce bash, Birdseye chilli maybe 4 with 1 tab sugar,3 cloves garlic,1 red shallot in mortar & pestle. when you have a paste add juice of 3 limes,2 tabs fish sauce.then add 1/4 bunch of cilantro,leafs,stalks,roots finely chopped.
Test for balance of flavours,hot,sweet,salty,sour.
Ready to go here. Family unit have headed for the hills,work,medical school so it's just me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky