"Baron Von Schwein" 120 Gallon Horizontal Tank RF Build. QVIEW!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just noticed your question about reinforcement.  Without knowing what is already there, it is hard to advise.  But one thing I can see is that you might want to beef up your suspension.  If the trailer becomes so heavy that it ends up with frame on axle, it will smash your wiring.  This is one of those trial by fire things I learned the hard way.  I ended up adding to my trailer, too,  to give it better stability.

ed60efcb_IMG_22441.jpg

(Triple axle photo - the third wheel is behind my friend.)

I know that going from a single axle to a triple might seem a little excessive, but I got a great deal on the triple and I figured that I will never have to add to it again!

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting to add on axles, But I would add a leaf to the springs.  They sell them in most trailer supply stores.

Last edited:
Remember the roughly 60/40 rule on weight to the front of the axle, You don't want it to wobble down the road. Wood storage and beer cooler placement could ensure this.  If overall weight becomes an issue, up the springs a bit.  I recently found new, heavier rated springs, for my trailer, on the web for under $100 a set, including shipping.

That trailer was a real find for that money.

Those tires look like 12" so look at the weight rating on the side of the tire. You will probably be ok, but a look is worth the effort.

Keep the pictures coming.

Wow!! Triple axles! Thanks for all the great feedback. I had no idea you could simply upgrade your springs or add axles but now that I do it makes sense.. So if I understand correctly two of the limiting factors are spring and tire weight ratings? Also I know that trailers have a gross rating and a tongue rating. This one is a 200 lb tongue rating. Are those based on these limiting factors? I assume the structural integrity of the trailer is taken into account.

So by the 60/40 rule you are saying 60% in front of the axle and 40% behind? Is this rule meant for stability or is it due to statics or strength requirements for trailers? I would think that adjusting this ratio like you said (with beer and wood) would also adjust your tongue weight.

If your tongue weight is too light, it can/will sway wildly at highway speeds even on a small trailer like that. Load the trailer up..just make sure the majority of the weight is in front of the axle.

Check your tire ratings. Tires "for trailer use only" usually have a higher weight rating.

My trailer is used allot for going out in the woods to cut firewood. I would squat the fenders into the tires and drag the tail going through ditches. I checked the springs, and they were rated at 700 pounds and the axle at 3000. 700 x 2 = 1400lbs, half the rating of the axle, so I bought springs rated at 1700 +/- and put the axle on the bottom of the springs to get another 4 inches of ground clearance to the trailer bed. like I said, all for under $100.  Makes tromping through the woods much easier.  They had axles as well for around $200.  Axle rating is usually stamped on the axle housing. 

All kinds of options out there. It all depends on how many zeros you want to add before the decimal point.

What if instead of trying to straighten out the door, create a "lip" around the door to make a better seal? Your hinges are offset so it should fit neatly around the entire door. It's more material and work but I think easier then trying to bang out the bends.

Move your weight to the front so there is just a little tongue weight, otherwise the trailer will weave when you pull it. i a just talking 25 -50 pound on the tongue.

good morning, my smoker was also make from parts i was able to locate, at a old small engine repair shop, I am not a weilder, but my friend is, and as he had never made a smoker before, being from the north ,  and me being from the south, well between the two of us, the rig was made, and works great, it is good to see others who share in the art of what real BBQ is

Kinda got snowed out this morning... too wet and cold. Got the smoker mocked up on the trailer. The weight distribution seems to work out perfectly. The trailer also seems to handle the load without a problem which I was obviously concerned about. Hopefully next week we can add the reinforcements to the trailer and start fabricating the smoker supports.

c5b0218b_2011-10-29_11-13-56_563.jpg

4ade279a_2011-10-29_11-14-04_796.jpg

2853c4ce_2011-10-29_10-14-17_804.jpg

defcbd2c_2011-10-29_11-14-24_488.jpg

Reactions: wan2smoke
What a great thread guys! Congratulations on the new yung'un too!

Watching intently for the next steps...

-- Jim

nice looking trailer and rib, i have a 15 ft traler with my rig, we havee been thinking of doing a top, but i am still looking how it would apear. do you have any other pictures of your completed rig,

Keep up the good work!

It is really coming together nicely.  Certainly looks like it will be the best in the neighborhood.  Your sister is lucky to have such a great brother.

Got back to it today. Added the legs that will attach to the trailer. She can now stand on her own! Also fabricated a hinge for the firebox door. Still need to find or fabricate a latch for it. Any suggestions? 

9858eaa6_2011-11-12_15-56-18_493.jpg

5a723b09_2011-11-12_15-56-56_866.jpg

896d75a9_2011-11-12_15-56-34_763.jpg

340941a6_2011-11-12_15-56-43_457.jpg

You might want to think about putting some x-braces between the front and rear legs.

As heavy as it is, if you need to apply your brakes hard on the tow vehicle, the legs will have a tendancy to fold up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky