"Baron Von Schwein" 120 Gallon Horizontal Tank RF Build. QVIEW!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did a quick search in the Austin, Texas craiglist on smokers and got an idea. We have a 16" vertical propane tank that we grabbed for $10 along with the others. Thought we could mount it on the back of the main chamber and when in use direct the heat into the rib/warming box. Thoughts?

c95953c6_Warmingboxiso.jpg
06f54588_Warmingboxright.jpg
One thing you may want to consider...when you start making holes in the main body, it will start to make zones in your cooker.  It looks like you are building a reverse flow design.  With that said, I think that you are looking to have even cooking throughout your main vessel.  When you add ports to the main chamber it allows heat to escape at a different place then your main exhaust.  If your just looking for the warming effect, then mount this extra tank above your fire box and the radiant heat will warm the added tank.  But if you are looking to cook with it, you might consider putting a tee in you main exhaust and this will keep your main cooking area intact.  Not to confuse you,but having zones is not a bad thing.  If your food is cooking to fast or slow, you can move it around. 

I agree with SUBVET, and think you would hurt your reverse flow venting. 

What you might want to think about is mounting your third tank directly to the main cooking chamber.  You would have to revamp the door, but you would achive your direct heat warming chamber.  This should allow you to keep things warm, cook your BBQ Beans, warm your buns, (and the bread too), maybe even roast corn.  Depending on the amount of heat transfered.  I would definatly recomend a themo in the door.

Just adding my 4.5 cents (allowing for inflation)

Larry

PS Hey SUBVET you a grad of Rotten Grotten?

I would add your pipe above the fire box to keep it RF.Like a over under shotgun with the flue on top and slide out racks stacked in the pipe .
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Got the "spine" for the reverse flow done today. Once again, found some sweet parts in the gold mine shown below!

5fd5f873_2011-10-15_09-49-01_816.jpg

fdf69075_2011-10-15_11-35-06_359.jpg

1f7e9d43_2011-10-15_11-35-53_789.jpg

We just used the plasma cutter and cut out one of the existing holes to locate the left RF support.

025ba0ae_2011-10-15_13-57-05_467.jpg

117a8a8e_2011-10-15_13-57-40_122.jpg

As you can see the left side of the RF plate also slopes towards the drain.

f8c15f85_2011-10-15_13-56-55_753.jpg

One thing you may want to consider...when you start making holes in the main body, it will start to make zones in your cooker.  It looks like you are building a reverse flow design.  With that said, I think that you are looking to have even cooking throughout your main vessel.  When you add ports to the main chamber it allows heat to escape at a different place then your main exhaust.  If your just looking for the warming effect, then mount this extra tank above your fire box and the radiant heat will warm the added tank.  But if you are looking to cook with it, you might consider putting a tee in you main exhaust and this will keep your main cooking area intact.  Not to confuse you,but having zones is not a bad thing.  If your food is cooking to fast or slow, you can move it around. 
I hadn't quite thought out the thermodynamics of the design I had shown. You are correct that the location of the intake for the rib box that was shown would create uneven flow. Sum of energy in = sum of energy out, so ideally the intake would not obstruct the natural convection through the main chamber. I was thinking that we would use the mounting location shown but tap the intake into the main flue. In other words, the output of the main chamber into the input of the rib box. The only downside is the added pressure drop in this additional "cavity". This should be solved by increasing the systems overall air flow or intake flow into the firebox. We have been planning on adding blowers to the firebox so this shouldn't be a problem.

All theoretical obviously... we've never run a smoker like this before. So I'm unclear of the actual affects of these additions to the basic design of a RF system. We are in need of your wisdom brothers of the smoke and meat.
77.gif

Last edited:
I hadn't quite thought out the thermodynamics of the design I had shown. You are correct that the location of the intake for the rib box that was shown would create uneven flow. Sum of energy in = sum of energy out, so ideally the intake would not obstruct the natural convection through the main chamber. I was thinking that we would use the mounting location shown but tap the intake into the main flue. In other words, the output of the main chamber into the input of the rib box. The only downside is the added pressure drop in this additional "cavity". This should be solved by increasing the systems overall air flow or intake flow into the firebox. We have been planning on adding blowers to the firebox so this shouldn't be a problem.

All theoretical obviously... we've never run a smoker like this before. So I'm unclear of the actual affects of these additions to the basic design of a RF system. We are in need of your wisdom brothers of the smoke and meat.
77.gif
I always find it fun to design and build a new cooker.  My mind gets to grinding on all of the details.  It is interesting that I have spent a lot of time thinking about your cooker and what I would do if I had your resources.  This whole rib cooker addition has really sucked up a lot of my thought life.  If I were you, I would put this on the back burner for a while (all puns intended).  If you think about most of the gadgets that do multiple tasks, they never really perform as good as the ones that are build for one function e.i. t.v./ vcr combos, "multi-tools" etc.  Maybe you should build your reverse flow smoker with your original design and use it for a while.  There is always a learning curve associated these things. 

If there is a need for the extra cooking space, you could revisit it then. 

Last edited:
Nothing gets done on the back burner. Sorry newbie but life is trial by fire.What dosen't kill us makes us stronger.

Oh, well thanks for your awesome wisdom there Michael and for the "jab" at some insignificant member status.  Obviously, you missed the point (which I don't know how you could with your master status and all).  The point is, don't make a mistake that takes lots of effort to do that isn't worth it.  You can learn by experience, or you could take the wiser route of listening to others who have been there.  I believe that is what the point of this whole thread is, isn't it? 

Proverbs 22:3

A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.

That the good thing about welding, if it don't work or even if you don't like the way it looks you can cut it off and change it or just patch it up...  It all good
kewl.gif

I always find it fun to design and build a new cooker.  My mind gets to grinding on all of the details.  It is interesting that I have spent a lot of time thinking about your cooker and what I would do if I had your resources.  This whole rib cooker addition has really sucked up a lot of my thought life.  If I were you, I would put this on the back burner for a while (all puns intended).  If you think about most of the gadgets that do multiple tasks, they never really perform as good as the ones that are build for one function e.i. t.v./ vcr combos, "multi-tools" etc.  Maybe you should build your reverse flow smoker with your original design and use it for a while.  There is always a learning curve associated these things. 

If there is a need for the extra cooking space, you could revisit it then. 
I agree try it as originally planned, cook the whole hog for your sister's wedding.  Then if you still want to, add the rear rib warmer.  It looks beautiful! as a retired pipefitter I know good work when I see it. Can't wait to see the first product off this masterpiece!

Wes

Reactions: subvet
 First off i was not typing to you .I was being lazy and didn't scroll up to see how to spell gmasterpfautz.Secondly to calulate if the warmer would work almost imposable because of all the variables.Hence the trail buy fire comments.Different size fires make different pressures according to the barometric pressure of the air and the moister in the wood to make steam.So this will pressurize the chamber .How much heat would rise up the pipe .The size and angle of the pipe. How tight all the chambers are would give more or less pressure in the warmer box.How tight the warmer box is and does it draft from leaks?

You could measure all these or just try it and build a fire.As far as me being evil
icon_twisted.gif
.I haven't kick no puppy's or ate no kittens in at least 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by michael ark  /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...How much heat would rise up the pipe .The size and angle of the pipe. How tight all the chambers are would give more or less pressure in the warmer box. How tight the warmer box is and does it draft from leaks?
What are we talking about again?   Dang, my mind wanders...

Kidding aside, This project has been a blast to follow.  Thanks everyone!

I agree try it as originally planned, cook the whole hog for your sister's wedding.  Then if you still want to, add the rear rib warmer.  It looks beautiful! as a retired pipefitter I know good work when I see it. Can't wait to see the first product off this masterpiece!

Wes
Spoken like a true pipefitter.  I have been a fitter welder for over 20 years in the piping trade and there is one common thing that I have noticed in every state and place that I have worked and that is, that nobody likes rework.  I have sticker in my gang-box that says, W.A.S.P. (welders against stupid pipefitters).  It serves as constant reminder to measure twice and cut once.  When it takes 50 minutes to make an 8" weld (if it is a roll-out) and 2 hours to correct it, you just don't want to make any mistakes if you can avoid it.  I think this web-site is a great to give and get advice!  I wish I had found it sooner!

Nothing gets done on the back burner. Sorry newbie but life is trial by fire.What dosen't kill us makes us stronger.
Your right Michael, we need to try new ideas, if it doesn't work, try another.

If we all built smokers by what has already been tried, everyone's smokers

would look the same.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't be afraid to try something new.

WOW! This should be interesting to watch, love the electronic monitoring.  Good luck and congrats to the sister.  I know you will do great work.  Long live Baron Von Schwein!!

Yay trailer!! Its 4 x 6 ft 2000 GW. $250 + title transfer fees + gas to pick it up. $330 total. Here are some pictures and a quick layout in solidworks. We want to modify the trailer as little as possible(not including re-enforcements to the structure). The main issue is to get the center of gravity as close to the axle as possible and to get the firebox to clear the side rail. Should we center the smoker on the trailer like the second image shows or move it closer to the operator? Any comments on what sections of the trailer should be re-enforced?

e29a9df8_2011-10-26_11-34-52_405.jpg

7401d3d3_BackwithTrailer.jpg

b6981f19_RightwithTrailer.jpg

That looks like a nice find.  I would suggest moving it closer to the side.  Keep in mind you might want to put a shelf on the front and it could come to the edge of the wheel well.  Another advantage to having it set to one side is you will have room for wood and other items on the side opposite your main doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: vecchiobob
I agree with subvet about moving it a little closer to the side if you can manage it, and still be stable. 

I have had to reach from ground level, across the trailer, and then still have to fidget around to be able to add wood, or lift a lid, or check on progress.  Not fun with an arm load of heavy meat, or other items you have to handle.  However, the dog loved the dropped "donations" on his behalf.

You are doing a great job, and you still have time, so no rush.  Keep up the good work, and  the great photos and drawings!
usa.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky