Baisic pork butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sparks65

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
I did 2-4.5# pork butts yesterday. Pit temp was pretty constant @ 245*. Took a little over 10 hr to hit 198* (usually runs around 8 hr). They both stalled at 190 *, 8 hr in so I foiled. Plated with creamy slaw and jalapeño poppers. Pretty descent.

9AC83017-B29A-425C-8F32-663E3E127BA5.jpeg

1794854E-8C3A-4832-BC90-A9BF9E29B1EF.jpeg

6D4273C3-FD4C-43F3-90DB-FD93C3E57D0B.jpeg
4E92B351-BC8F-4DA5-B179-F5D5B44C4BB7.jpeg

Good looking butts. I have never thought of trussing them before. Do you find that it keeps moisture in or any other benefit in it

Morning Brownies. That's the way they came from the butcher. I like the smaller butts as they usually cook faster. This 2 not so much. I'm not sure if the truss had anything to do with with it but they were supper moist.

My guess is they tie 'em up because they tend to fall apart. I like to truss my roasts to keep even cooking surface. Good job with yours, looks like the wait paid off !!!

Similar to troutman, I will truss my shoulder if they are boneless. This helps to get a more consistent cooking surface and holds the meat together for more uniform cooking.

Rings. If you truss deacon hunks( pork belly?) isn’t that prosciutto?

That gets hung for months after its packed in salt. . trussing my pork after cure is just to make it look nice . if it's a bit raggedy.

You can age rolled bacon like in cheesecloth .. never tried it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky