Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you have a digital scale you can weigh your pork belly and enter that into diggingdogfarm cure calculator in grams. It will give you the correct amount of cure #1 to use and also the correct amounts of salt and sugar also.

Ryan

Depends on the weight and what you are using. There are others on here that know exact science, but typically 1.5 - 2tsp of prague #1 per 5lbs of pork belly in a dry cure. If you are using something else, I'm not sure. I think some of it comes down to preference and time, which can adjust the amounts.

If using Cure #1 (pink salt) in a bacon dry cure.... you want to use 2.5g per kilogram (1000g) of pork belly, which is .25%. This will give you 156 parts per million.

A typical bacon recipe might be:
2% salt
1.5% sugar
.25% Cure #1

You can be flexible on the salt and sugar to suit your tastes, but the amount of Cure #1 should remain constant, and is much more accurate when weighed.

We all use this calculator:
Just put in the weight in grams of your belly and it will tell you what amounts to use.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky