Bacon wrapped stuffed pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
Look what I have waiting for tomorrow :)

-feta
-cream cheese
-spinach
-tomato
-garlic
-Stubbs pork rub + kosher salt + brown sugar + black pepper

If I do say so myself, for my virgin loin slicing, I think I kicked ass (thank you Rapala electric fish fillet knife)

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
And I'm keen to hear if the bacon crisped up nice on the outside with your cook time and temps.    This looks like something I would really enjoy making.   

We're going low and slow so I dont think the bacon will crisp (I prefer it softer anyway).  But perhaps we will turn up the heat in the last 30min.  TBD!

That is what I am curious about.    I am wondering if it will be 'firm' but not crisp.     I did some boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half wrapped in bacon last night.     Because they were only in for 40 min @275 the bacon was still....umm...wiggly.   Cooked, but not a nice texture.   Had to broil the rest cause they put me off.      So keen to hear what the extra hours even at low heat do to it.   

That is what I am curious about.    I am wondering if it will be 'firm' but not crisp.     I did some boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half wrapped in bacon last night.     Because they were only in for 40 min @275 the bacon was still....umm...wiggly.   Cooked, but not a nice texture.   Had to broil the rest cause they put me off.      So keen to hear what the extra hours even at low heat do to it.   
My beer can burgers had bacon and they were fine.  Cooked them at 225F.  Cant remember the time (check Jeff's recipe), but the bacon came out fine.  40min was too little for your bacon. 

Just heard the report that the AMPS died again while inside the smoker (failed to relight).  Smokeless pork loin for me tonight :(  I will take some Q view when I get home. 

Nice Start, Mummel !!!

Great Job on the filleting & stuffing.

Sorry about your Smoke quitting on you.

I'm a firm believer of serving your Bacon on the side, because even if you get the Bacon Crisp, the Loin doesn't get any Bark, and the Bacon got all the smoke.

Bear

Good point Re: the bacon.  I have 3 loins and I will try a bunch of different ways.  I did find with the BCBs that the fat/juice from the bacon, that had a heavy smoke flavor, was absorbed by the minced beef, and it tasted fantastic.  The loin probably wont take on as much.

Yeah Im pretty bummed about the AMPS.  I dont know whats going on......  The next time I will record a video, I just dont have a Youtube or Vimeo account and I have no interest in one.

Ok registered a Vimeo account, was really easily.  Guess I'm oldschool haha (no Facebook BS etc).  Will upload a vid next time.

Ok registered a Vimeo account, was really easily.  Guess I'm oldschool haha (no Facebook BS etc).  Will upload a vid next time.
I wish I could do a video too.

Then I could just post a 20 minute video, instead of telling so many people for years how to light an AMNPS.

You would see me light it in about 20  seconds with the torch.

Then it would burn on it's own for awhile, and every time the flame went out, you'd see me blow on it until it lights by itself.

Then I'd let it burn some more.

Then if the flame didn't go out, you see me blow the flame out, so I can blow it downward & inward real deep to get those pellets glowing red real deep into the bottom of the row.

Even when the flame comes back up from blowing on it, I'd be blowing right through the flame being careful not to inhale to close to the flame.

After doing this about 6 or 8 times, over about 20 minutes, you'd see me put it in my smoker, but not before.

Shame I never will make this video, because I'm old school (No FB & that kind of BS either).

Bear

You said one key point Bear.  I need to try get that cherry to burn on the bottom of the row.  It's normally in the middle and it would be much more effective if it were on the bottom of the pellets.  Next time I am going to use my Coleman air mattress inflator.  Im pretty sure that will be fool proof.  I told my wife to use it today but she said she had it handled and I should go jump in a lake ahahaha.  Granted 1 of the 2 times it successfully lit (out of the total of 7), she was the one who lit it.  So she had 100% hit rate.  But yeah, I got to get this AMPS prob sorted out because once it's going, its genius.   

Last edited:

You said one key point Bear.  I need to try get that cherry to burn on the bottom of the row.  It's normally in the middle and it would be much more effective if it were on the bottom of the pellets.  Next time I am going to use my Coleman air mattress inflator.  Im pretty sure that will be fool proof.  I told my wife to use it today but she said she had it handled and I should go jump in a lake ahahaha.  Granted 1 of the 2 times it successfully lit (out of the total of 7), she was the one who lit it.  So she had 100% hit rate.  But yeah, I got to get this AMPS prob sorted out because once it's going, its genius.   
Uh Oh----It worked for her, so you got nothing to say----LOL----I know how that game goes.

I know you're even older than I am, but how long have you been married?

Bear

It came out great! Very juicy and tender. My wife pulled it at 147F, foiled and wrapped it for 4 hours until I got home. Of course the burst of smoke was missing and I longed for that taste, but it was great nonetheless. Much juicier than the pork tenderloins my wife normally makes and remember, she said never buy a loin! Just goes to show you. It's all in the way it's cooked. 9/10 if you remove the smoke factor, otherwise 6/10.

Improvements next time - even though my fillet job was kick ass, I need to make the meat thinner so it can hold more stuffing. Also skip the bacon next time and go for a bark (actually not an improvement, just curious, because it was great with the bacon too!).

Last edited:
Maybe try pounding it out after you fillet. It should give plenty of space for stuffing. I suggest covering counter with plastic wrap put the meat on it and cover meat with plastic wrap and pound with a kitchen mallet. Use plenty of plastic wrap or as it stretches meat and juices will splatter all over.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky