Bacon Trimming Barley Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice soup Disco!  You sir are on a roll!  
roflmao.gif

Mike

Man that looks good, I'll have to try that one   
points1.png

Gary

I to get great ideas from everyone on the forms that have made me the go to around here for smoking advice. I have suggested that they join the forms but they still come to me. Go figure????
Randy

I to get great ideas from everyone on the forms that have made me the go to around here for smoking advice. I have suggested that they join the forms but they still come to me. Go figure????
Randy
At least you are popular.

Just made Barley soup\stew a couple of days ago, but the recipe we've been using calls for sausage and liberal celery and carrots.We thought THAT was awesome. Next time we'll try bacon and green beans...
Thanks again for a great change-up idea!
Barley is a definitely different and underestimated grain.
Dan

If it wasn't for Smoking Meat Forms and you all I would still be guessing at what I'm doing, having little success. All I can take credit for, is following instructions and occasionally adding my own twists I like to look at several recipes and take the best of all of them and make it my own, but the credit for basics that turn flavors into smoked goodness belongs to you all.
Randy

One great thing is, you can simply put "barley soup" into a search and get a library of ideas. Like you, I browse and select bits instead of strictly following a recipe. It drives everyone crazy like I'm the madman at the wheel. Heh heh.

Side note, one way we would eat barley was not as a soup but as a plain grain, similar to cooking rice. Sometimes we had diced smoked bacon mixed into it. As a leftover, we would fry it in bacon fat in a cast iron skillet.  We called it kroupu kosha, basically barley mash, but I'm not getting any search results for it.

Randy
At least you are popular.
Just made Barley soup\stew a couple of days ago, but the recipe we've been using calls for sausage and liberal celery and carrots.We thought THAT was awesome. Next time we'll try bacon and green beans...
Thanks again for a great change-up idea!
Barley is a definitely different and underestimated grain.
Dan
Har! Now I have to use it in my sausage soup! I used to use soup noodles. Thanks for another new idea, Dan.
If it wasn't for Smoking Meat Forms and you all I would still be guessing at what I'm doing, having little success. All I can take credit for, is following instructions and occasionally adding my own twists I like to look at several recipes and take the best of all of them and make it my own, but the credit for basics that turn flavors into smoked goodness belongs to you all.
Randy
I'm in the same boat, Randy. I had marginal success smoking until I found SMF.

One great thing is, you can simply put "barley soup" into a search and get a library of ideas. Like you, I browse and select bits instead of strictly following a recipe. It drives everyone crazy like I'm the madman at the wheel. Heh heh.

Side note, one way we would eat barley was not as a soup but as a plain grain, similar to cooking rice. Sometimes we had diced smoked bacon mixed into it. As a leftover, we would fry it in bacon fat in a cast iron skillet.  We called it kroupu kosha, basically barley mash, but I'm not getting any search results for it.
I've had barley as a side dish but mixing bacon in or frying it in bacon fat sounds brilliant.

Disco, that soup looks delicious!    I love barley in vegetable soup and I've bookmarked this post so I can make your recipe.     Thank you for posting.

Disco, that soup looks delicious!    I love barley in vegetable soup and I've bookmarked this post so I can make your recipe.     Thank you for posting.
That's very kind! I hope you like it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky