Baby Backs with Brown Sugar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mythmaster

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 24, 2010
Guthrie, OK
I've been wanting to try this method for a while, and I'm finally getting around to it.  So, here's what I'm doing:

1) Pull membrane (I failed miserably with this -- couldn't find a place to grab onto it, so I just left it on
mad.gif
).

2) Rub with molasses.

3) Sprinkle on Memphis rub.  I'm using a modified recipe that i found over here: http://southernfood.about.com/od/bbqsaucemarinade/r/bl30418a.htm

I just left out the brown sugar and cut the cayenne in half.

4) Apply brown sugar and wait for it to "melt".

5) Sprinkle on some more rub.

6) Smoke at 225* with Apple wood for 5 hours.  No foiling or spritzing or mopping.

I got a VERY late start, and here's where it is now.  The brown sugar still needs another 10-15 minutes to finish its thing:

80a78abf_DSC00106.jpg

It's going to be a tight squeeze, but I think that I can fit it diagonally onto one of the MES racks.  I'll post another pic before it goes in and some more when it comes out.

P.S. Sorry about the HUGE pics -- I haven't fiddled with my camera settings yet.

SCHWEEEEET!!!

Looks like that is going to be one fine rack o ribs.

Let's see some finished pics.

Looks good so far.  When do we eat?  I can be there in 1.5 hours.
It'll be 9:30 before they come out, but I'm sharing this rack with Mom, and, TRUST ME -- you DO NOT want to fight that woman over my ribs!

SCHWEEEEET!!!

Looks like that is going to be one fine rack o ribs.

Let's see some finished pics.
Thanks, I will!

looks great! i've been wanting to try that method myself. by the way heres a LINK to a GREAT video someone posted on here awhile back that helped me immensely with pulling off the membrane.
Thanks, man!  I can do spares, no prob, but this was really the first time I tried with baby backs.  That video will be of great help.

Looks and sounds like it should be good I'll be looking forward to more Qview

OK, the brown sugar didn't quite finish before I got impatient and sprinkled on some more rub:

10eab307_DSC00113.jpg

And they just fit diagonally on the MES rack which is cool because that means that I can do 4 at a time.  I took a couple of pics of that, too, but they came out blurry (poor lighting in the kitchen).  Ah, well, here's one anyway:

b8b5855d_DSC00114.jpg

Someone posted a video on these, but to remove the membrane, slide a butter knife under it in the middle of the rack, then wiggle your finger under it and to the other side, then pull up.  It works great I have been doing it that way for a while now and works every time

Awesome, thanks!

Someone posted a video on these, but to remove the membrane, slide a butter knife under it in the middle of the rack, then wiggle your finger under it and to the other side, then pull up.  It works great I have been doing it that way for a while now and works every time

Believe it or not, this is EXACTLY what I was going for:

05f77a7f_DSC00117.jpg

d6133e85_DSC00120.jpg

8bd5adeb_DSC00123.jpg

Sauces??  We don't need no stinking sauces!

31766228_DSC00124.jpg

Oh, man is this stuff awesome!!!!  This rub has a nice little spicy kick to it, and it could easily be countered with a sweet sauce, but I like it this way.  The only thing I would do differently next time is remove the membrane, but in all honesty, I can't even tell if there's a membrane on it or not.

Also, make no mistake about it -- that blackness is just an AWESOME bark, and there is zero burned brown sugar involved with this.  Sugar burns at 265*, and my temps stayed between 220-235 the whole time.

Thanks, everyone here, for inspiration and encouragement!

Wow---Great lookin' ribs!

If that's how they do it in OK, I'm movin' !

As soon as I can figure out where to hook up my Ram to my log house.

Bear

Nice work, I may have to make these ribs for a Fathers day gift to myself this weekend.  Or call my dad when they are done and tell him that I got him some ribs for Fathers day.  Ofcourse he'll be 3 hours away and ill have to eat them for him.

Thanks, Bear!  Well, I don't think that it's a regional thing except that this is probably closer to Memphis style than most others.  I love a good, heavy, black, seasoned bark on my ribs, and I don't want to have to use any sauce.  This was the first time that I tried this method/recipe and it came out perfect, so I'll definitely be doing it again.

Thanks, nj!  I'm planning to do up 4 racks just like this for the 4th.  Except this time I will let them sit in the molasses and rub overnight hoping that they might take on some extra flavor...not that they needed it.

Cheers!

Great looking plate of food, the ribs look awesome...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky