Baby backs on the old Weber Kettle

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokinal, Sep 1, 2011.

1. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thanks Dave,

I have one solid piece for it, and also a neat little insert for doing beer can chicken. It lowers the chicken below the grate so it fits under the cover. I guess I'll have to do a beer can chicken thread using the insert.

2. smokinal

By the way thanks for all the nice comments guys.

It is very much appreciated!

3. shortend

shortend Meat Mopper

Great lookin' ribs Al. I've done 'em on the Weber with good success, too. I've gotta ask. Where did you get your cast iron grate? I don't think I've been livin' under a rock or anything, but I have never seen those before. I assume it would fit a WSM as well. Bein' a gadget freak, that's a "grate" idea. Please, do tell!

4. smokinal

Here's the link:

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/grates-for-weber-charcoal-grills-for-225-kettle-grills-c-9_1.html

They have a lot of cool stuff for Weber. If you get the grate make sure you get the handle to remove them when they are hot.

I also got the hot plate & the beer can chicken thingy.

5. porked

porked Smoking Fanatic

Nothing more versatile than a Weber ketttle. Nice ribs Al, very nice.

6. smokinal

Thanks Buddy!

7. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

looks great Al...love the shot of the ribs in the pan gettin' happy in the juice....great job

8. smokinal

Thanks Willie!

9. jlmacc

jlmacc Meat Mopper

Ribs look awesome al!I like your cast iron grate too,nice.Did you have a problem keeping the charcoal going at that temp?Have a great labor day weekend!

10. jc1947

jc1947 Smoking Fanatic

In a word...AWESOME. [​IMG]

11. smokinal

Thank-you! Once I got the temp stabilized it held it the whole time. The bottom vents were almost closed & the lid vent was wide open, with a little practice I think I can control it almost as easy as a WSM. You have a great weekend too!

12. woodchucks

woodchucks Smoke Blower

Awesome simply Awesome way to go Al

13. smokinal

Thanks Buddy!

14. shortend

shortend Meat Mopper

Thanks Al. I love my Webers. Learn how to control the temps and you can cook just about anything on 'em.  As usual, you guys are about to cost me a few more Sentavo's.[​IMG]

15. smokinal

They are fun to use & for something like ribs or chicken they are awesome.

If I'm gonna do a brisket or a pork butt then the WSM with the BBQ Guru is where I go.

Sometime when I really ambitious I may try a butt on the Kettle just to prove to myself I can do it.

The hard part for me would be staying up all night babysitting the fire.

I'm usually drinking beer or Johnny Walker when I smoking, so I guess I'd have to change to Colombian coffee.

16. shortend

shortend Meat Mopper

Beer is indeed a requisite ingredient for smoking. Ya, would have to bring up that BBQ Guru thing now, wouldn't ya. [​IMG]  That's on the "toys to buy" list! Cha Ching!! [​IMG]

17. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

[​IMG]

18. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I almost missed it looks great and yummy 

19. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

how did i miss it i don't know but it looks great

20. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

AWESOME!

This proves that you don't need a big fancy smoker to put out some Great BBQ!

This should be a WIKI on how to smoke ribs in a Weber Kettle Grill

Todd