Avoid Temp Swings in MES (By Bear)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Happy 4th Bear!  So some quick data Re: our previous discussion.
  1. Set smoker to 225F and started it up
  2. Goal was to get stable temps +-15F from 225F so 210 to 240F
  3. Smoker was at 175F when my Mav hit 225F
  4. So I quickly set smoker temp to 175F
  5. Smoker temp then coasted and topped out at 215F with my Mav at 248F
  6. I then set my smoker temp to 215F
  7. Smoker temp dropped down to 213F and then the element kicked on, my Max said 221F
  8. Smoker temp coasted up to 225F with my Mav at 243F
  9. I changed my smoker temp to 210F
  10. Smoker temp dropped to 209F and started heating, Mav temp said 212F
  11. Smoker temp bottom at 207F and Mav said 210F
Process took about 1.5 hours

After about 2 hours I had stable temps of 210F-240F

Am I doing things correctly?

Last edited:

Happy 4th Bear!  So some quick data Re: our previous discussion.
  1. Set smoker to 225F and started it up
  2. Goal was to get stable temps +-15F from 225F so 210 to 240F
  3. Smoker was at 175F when my Mav hit 225F
  4. So I quickly set smoker temp to 175F You said it was already set at 175° in #3.
  5. Smoker temp then coasted and topped out at 215F with my Mav at 248F
  6. I then set my smoker temp to 215F
  7. Smoker temp dropped down to 213F and then the element kicked on, my Max said 221F
  8. Smoker temp coasted up to 225F with my Mav at 243F
  9. I changed my smoker temp to 210F
  10. Smoker temp dropped to 209F and started heating, Mav temp said 212F
  11. Smoker temp bottom at 207F and Mav said 210F
Process took about 1.5 hours

After about 2 hours I had stable temps of 210F-240F

Am I doing things correctly?
Are you saying that once it stabilizes. your Maverick swing is from 210° to 240° (averaging 225°)??

That's a pretty big swing for once it "Stabilized", but the important thing is your average can be maintained where you want it that way.

If that's true, your stabilized swing isn't much better than your start-up swing-----The highest the Mav went at start-up was 248°, and the lowest was 210°.

It would have been a whole lot worse without making those changes.

Bear

What should the stabalized temp diffs be?  Could it be my controller isnt working properly? 

Last edited:
And Re: #4 in my list, yes I set it to 175F so the smoker would stop heating.  Same discussion we had the other day.  Alternative was to turn it off. 

And Re: #4 in my list, yes I set it to 175F so the smoker would stop heating.  Same discussion we had the other day.  Alternative was to turn it off. 
You did good resetting it at 175° at that point to get it to stop going up.

Turning it off makes no sense at any time, unless you're either done, or it's on fire.

Bear

What should the stabalized temp diffs be?  Could it be my controller isnt working properly? 
They're all different:

Some guys with the new model are reporting 2° to 4° swings. Once stabilized, mine is usually about 15° total. 

Yours is about 30° total which seems to be higher than most, but your average can be managed where you want it.

Maybe try closing your top Vent about 50%.

I do that when it's windy. Maybe yours needs it more than mine?

Also are you pulling your chip dumper out to keep your AMNPS smoking???  That could affect your swing too.

So many variables. The big thing is you're able to get your average where you want it.

Bear

I will try close the vent 50% on my next smoke.  The chip loaded is in, dump position, pulled out to the middle point. 

Those guys reporting the swings.  They looking at their Mavs or the digital panel, because the panel reports +-5-10F swings, but they are larger on the Mav. 

I will try close the vent 50% on my next smoke.  The chip loaded is in, dump position, pulled out to the middle point. 

Those guys reporting the swings.  They looking at their Mavs or the digital panel, because the panel reports +-5-10F swings, but they are larger on the Mav. 
The Maverick is more accurate, because it's more sensitive & reads the absolute peaks, so it reports bigger swings, but it really doesn't matter, because it's the average between the High & the low that you want it to be.

In other words if you want 230° & the Maverick swings from 220° to 240° your good to go, or from 225° to 235°---Perfect!! Or even 215° to 245°---Average is still 230°.

My kitchen oven does the same thing, except it takes about 8 minutes to fall from 240° to 210°, but only 2 minutes to rise from 210° to 240°. Average is 225°.

Bear

Last edited:
Kind of a bummer that I have 30F variance when some guys are getting 2F!  Im smoking again tomorrow.  Will check it out. 

Yep, you got it. We are not so sensitive down here, we know we are eating animals, lol. It is indeed a MES 30 gen 2.
Looks like you've got a good smoker. As for eating animals, today I bought some meat that was on sale. I didn't see cows and pigs. All I saw were great looking bone-in ribeye steaks and baby back ribs.

Rick the Tri-Tips are cheaper in CA. @ $3.98 per lb there and $7.68 in OK.

Rick the Tri-Tips are cheaper in CA. @ $3.98 per lb there and $7.68 in OK.
How meat's priced is beyond me. I'm only concerned with WA state meat prices anyway since that is the state in which I live. Well, it's the first state. The other one is married bliss...

I do the Butt the day before and smoke ABT's, Armadillo eggs or other appetizers that day, if I have the time the day before.  Then you can throw the pan of PP in the MES with apps to heat up.  The finishing juice/sauce in the PP is better the next day, kinda like chili. 

-Kurt 
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><![endif]

Kurt, I just got introduced to ABTs and now you're throwing Armadillo eggs at me. ¿Qué son?

So, you re-smoke the PP with the sauce/juice? That sounds interesting but I only wheel out the smoker once in the week I use it. I've noticed that everything I smoke tastes smokier the next day and afterwards until they're all yummily gone.

Kurt, I just got introduced to ABTs and now you're throwing Armadillo eggs at me. ¿Qué son?

So, you re-smoke the PP with the sauce/juice? That sounds interesting but I only wheel out the smoker once in the week I use it. I've noticed that everything I smoke tastes smokier the next day and afterwards until they're all yummily gone.
It's a simplified Scotch egg. A hard boiled egg with a little blanket of rolled out sausage around out. I don't resmoke the pp the next day. I just have it covered in an aluminum pan on with other smoking things if i smoke the next day. If not smoking the next day then a crock pot. I'm doing a 7lb. shoulder for pp with Chef JJ foiling juice tomorrow. I don't put juice in with the foil when it hits the stall around 160*F. I use the smoked juices from the pork to make the finishing juice to go over the pp.
-Kurt

It's a simplified Scotch egg. A hard boiled egg with a little blanket of rolled out sausage around out. I don't resmoke the pp the next day. I just have it covered in an aluminum pan on with other smoking things if i smoke the next day. If not smoking the next day then a crock pot. I'm doing a 7lb. shoulder for pp with Chef JJ foiling juice tomorrow. I don't put juice in with the foil when it hits the stall around 160*F. I use the smoked juices from the pork to make the finishing juice to go over the pp.
-Kurt
"I don't put juice in with the foil when it hits the stall around 160*F. I discovered this very thing when I smoked a pork shoulder and baby back ribs. They exude more than enough juice inside the foil to keep them moist. Since they're already covered with a dry rub (the way I do it) no need to add anything additional. Guys will add apple juice to the foil but I wonder how much extra flavor it actually imparts. Seems like the juice would be diluted by the rendered pork fat inside the foil. That's what I found when I tried it with the last racks of baby backs I smoked.

A smoked Scotch egg--even a simplified one--is getting into pretty rarified air 'round these parts filled with ribs and pork butts and chuckies and sausages. I think it's cool if you can pull it off. I've never made or eaten one but I'm open to both experiences. When I make pulled pork I either heat up some leftovers in a small saucepan or I nuke it at a low power for a full minutes. Either way the smoky smell and flavor come through.

"I don't put juice in with the foil when it hits the stall around 160*F. I discovered this very thing when I smoked a pork shoulder and baby back ribs. They exude more than enough juice inside the foil to keep them moist. Since they're already covered with a dry rub (the way I do it) no need to add anything additional. Guys will add apple juice to the foil but I wonder how much extra flavor it actually imparts. Seems like the juice would be diluted by the rendered pork fat inside the foil. That's what I found when I tried it with the last racks of baby backs I smoked.

A smoked Scotch egg--even a simplified one--is getting into pretty rarified air 'round these parts filled with ribs and pork butts and chuckies and sausages. I think it's cool if you can pull it off. I've never made or eaten one but I'm open to both experiences. When I make pulled pork I either heat up some leftovers in a small saucepan or I nuke it at a low power for a full minutes. Either way the smoky smell and flavor come through.
I don't know about others, but I don't put the juice in to add moisture to the roast.

My mixture is designed to add to the meat juices for a final Au Jus. I don't add anything later, like some do. All I do is remove the fat, and it's already an Au Jus mixture.

I also put the roast on a cooling rack so it doesn't sit in the juice, just like it would be if it was on a rack below.

Hope that helps.

Bear

Interesting point about the juice.  Doesnt it also soften the bark and wash off some of the spices?
With our without added juices, anything in foil/oven bag will steam the meat, softening the bark. I'll try butcher's paper instead of foiling to keep the bark crisper but help power through a stall to see how that method works sometime. This time I need foil to get juices for the finishing juice. The one's in the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 rib methods dry the bark back to pre foil texture. I always thought foiled meat with added juice would wash off rub on the bottom of the meat. I guess if the foiled juice with added liquids is used to make a sauce or finishing juice the added juice to foil makes sense but I just don't bother adding extra juice to the foiled meat.
-Kurt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky