At the Crossroads of Smoking and Whiskey - Bourbonites Unite!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bvbull200

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
North Richland Hills, Texas
A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread asking questions about my first smoke that was coming up.  The conversation spawned a wonderful tangent about whiskey.  How to use it for injections, what are favorites for sipping, best values, etc....

It was a great blend of two topics that I enjoy, which appeared to resonate with at least a couple others.

The purpose of this thread is to bring others in to the same fold.  First and foremost, it is about smoking meat and meant as a place to discuss the art and talk about cooks as they come up, as they happen, and after they finish, but it has the unique blend of incorporating whiskey talk as well.

Might be a dumb idea, but who knows.  Hopefully TX Smoker, biscuithead, Flash, Smokin isthe Dr, PGSmoker64, and others that made that original conversation so enjoyable will chime in.

To start, I have 3 pork butts currently thawing to be ready to smoke on Sunday morning.  6 lbs, 6 lbs, and 8.5 lbs.  240* worked really well for me last time, so I'm only going to change the rub/injections this time.  I'll leave everything else the same so as to have just one variable compared to last time.

On the whiskey front, I had a bottle of Four Roses for a "mixing" bourbon, but it is a little low.  Probably going to replace it with my go-to, Larceny.  I can sip or mix that stuff as I see fit.  Might even mess around and add some to an injection.

This will only be my second smoke ever, so I am taking baby steps, here.

Someone was posting about using Jack Daniel's Honey during the foiling portion of their 2-2-1 rib cooking. I think I will give that a try next time since I always have some on hand.

As far as the sipping part...I am partial to Gentleman Jack...although labeled as a "Tennessee Whiskey" it is actually a bourbon. I used to prefer Maker's Mark but feel their smoothness isn't quite what it used to be when they were "small batch". Knob Creek would be my preference if price was no object!

Any suggestions for a smooth bourbon I can try would be appreciated. I usually sip mine straight over 1 or 2 ice cubes.

Last edited:
I can see JD Honey working quite well as an injection ingredient or as part of the mopping/spritzing.

Go see if your local liquor store has Larceny available.  I liken it to Maker's, but prefer it.  Price-wise, it is about 10-15% less than Maker's Mark, but has a taste/smoothness that rivals Maker's 46, in my opinion.

I will be watching this thread with great interest. I generally sip Maker's Mark, but our relationship isn't exclusive.

Someone was posting about using Jack Daniel's Honey during the foiling portion of their 2-2-1 rib cooking. I think I will give that a try next time since I always have some on hand.

As far as the sipping part...I am partial to Gentleman Jack...although labeled as a "Tennessee Whiskey" it is actually a bourbon. I used to prefer Maker's Mark but feel their smoothness isn't quite what it used to be when they were "small batch". Knob Creek would be my preference if price was no object!

Any suggestions for a smooth bourbon I can try would be appreciated. I usually sip mine straight over 1 or 2 ice cubes.

The last time I made Ribs using the 3-2-1 method when I foiled them I added some melted butter, honey and Jack Daniels (also what I like to sip). I have never done this before and they really came out nice. Just a hint of the Whiskey on them.

I will do this again.

I'm intrigued about smoking with bourbon. As for sipping, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are 2 of my favorite bourbans. Love me some Jameson's though. FYI, I live just outside Boston, so I kind of have to.

One of the butts I'm smoking on Sunday is a bit of an extra.  I think I'll try something boubon-ey with that one.  I'll scour the net for some recipes on injections, spritzes, and finishing sauces that feature bourbon and see what I can come up with. 

Eagle Rare.....that is some really good stuff.  I don't know how that one escaped my mind in the other thread.  Definitely a favorite for sipping.  Though slightly more expensive, it is worth it.

One of the butts I'm smoking on Sunday is a bit of an extra.  I think I'll try something boubon-ey with that one.  I'll scour the net for some recipes on injections, spritzes, and finishing sauces that feature bourbon and see what I can come up with. 

Eagle Rare.....that is some really good stuff.  I don't know how that one escaped my mind in the other thread.  Definitely a favorite for sipping.  Though slightly more expensive, it is worth it.

Eagle Rare is actually cheaper than Buffalo Trace up here... although they are probably all more expensive up here than where you are.

Eagle Rare is actually cheaper than Buffalo Trace up here... although they are probably all more expensive up here than where you are.
I can't remember where Buffalo Trace is priced, but I know Eagle Rare is priced a bit above Maker's and the like.  Not terribly expensive, but a bit of a jump from some other good options.  It was the first bourbon that made me realize how good bourbon could be sipped by itself.  Up to that point (some years ago, mind you), I was strictly a Jack/Coke guy if I was drinking whiskey.  Now, bourbon and coke is still an option, but just drinking it neat often really hits the spot.

I can't remember where Buffalo Trace is priced, but I know Eagle Rare is priced a bit above Maker's and the like.  Not terribly expensive, but a bit of a jump from some other good options.  It was the first bourbon that made me realize how good bourbon could be sipped by itself.  Up to that point (some years ago, mind you), I was strictly a Jack/Coke guy if I was drinking whiskey.  Now, bourbon and coke is still an option, but just drinking it neat often really hits the spot.

Eagle Rare was my first enjoyable expedition into sipping bourbon as well. May pick up a bottle this weekend if I can find one. My wife will thank you for spending our money. :biggrin:

And I will be sipping it while smoking something, but not sure if it will be short ribs or a chuck roast.

I'm intrigued about smoking with bourbon. As for sipping, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are 2 of my favorite bourbans. Love me some Jameson's though. FYI, I live just outside Boston, so I kind of have to.
I'm with you on the Buffalo Trace....  That is my go to Bourbon.  First because of it's taste and second because I served with the 17th Infantry "Buffalo's" at Fort Ord.  I use old Bourbon barrels for smoking almost everything (Brisket, Pork Butt, Bacon and cheese).

Woodford Reserve is my favorite. Pricy, but man when you taste it.

I learn something new every day.  So Jack is a bourbon.  Who woulda thunk it?

"Jack Daniel's whiskey is filtered through sugar maple charcoal in large wooden vats prior to aging, which is an extra step that is not used in making most Bourbon whiskey,[sup][56][/sup] and the company claims that this makes the product different from Bourbon. However, Tennessee whiskey is required to be "a straight Bourbon Whiskey" under terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement,[sup][57][/sup] and Canadian law,[sup][58][/sup] and there is no other legal definition of the term "Tennessee whiskey" (other than U.S. law governing the definition of "whiskey" in general)."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky